UGN Security
Posted By: KillHour Open Source - 04/19/05 10:04 AM
In todays flashy market, open source games are generally overlooked for more flashy (Explosion Oriented) games. Open source games however, deserve some recognition (Hell, they're FREE!) This is what this topic is for. I would like to know about everyone's favorite open source games, programs, and whatever else fits (as long as it's free - and appropriate).
Posted By: KillHour Re: Open Source - 04/19/05 10:20 AM
I guess I'll start with myself. I, personally like Cube. It's a concept engine with simple but powerful in game editing. It is designed to make mapping easy and fun.

You can get it at its main page: http://www.cubeengine.com

The bigger the community the better (we could really use some good programers for the prototype engine Sauerbraten.)

PS: Be sure to check out my Cube maps at Quadropolis: http://cube.snieb.com/
Posted By: pergesu Re: Open Source - 04/22/05 11:23 AM
Tell me an open source game that is as good as all the big commercial ones.

There aren't any. That's why all the big games overshadow the lame open source ones.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Open Source - 04/22/05 01:26 PM
I donno, I still love Hexxagon (was originally coded for use in DOS but there is now a flash version floating around; namely in our games section).
Posted By: KillHour Re: Open Source - 04/26/05 11:22 AM
Quote:
Tell me an open source game that is as good as all the big commercial ones.

There aren't any. That's why all the big games overshadow the lame open source ones.
Not true Perg. Even without flashy graphics, Escape Velocity was such a popular game (could even be called a "cult classic") that even when they started charging a shareware fee (after a free trial, of course), they were able to make enough money to start a company around the game. (ever hear of Ambrosia Software ?). Now, two sequels later, the game has become so popular that there's even an Escape Velocity: Nova card game[/b] ! How many "big commercial games" have that? not many! :p

[b]Natural Selection (the extremely popular half-life mod) is also starting to gain recognition as an open-source mod, and has even caught the attention of several publishers - the next generation natural selection will utilize HL2's Source engine and will be released in stores.

Open source programmers are the ones who really care what gamers think - they do this purely out of love for their creations. There are no monetary motives. That's why I feel they deserve to at least have a thread acknowledging their accomplishments. And always remember: even big companies like EA have to start somewhere. wink
Posted By: Ntd Re: Open Source - 04/28/05 01:35 PM
Hey as long as it is a multiplayer game with no gay lvl thing i'll play it! And if its Free thats even better laugh ! s2 CS!
Posted By: pergesu Re: Open Source - 04/28/05 08:47 PM
I got Guild Wars yesterday, played it 5 hours straight.

I know that's nothing for you nerds, but I've never done that with a game before, except for some sports games.

Man that [censored] pwnz so hard. Any all of the above games can't touch it.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Open Source - 04/28/05 11:36 PM
PErg, that game looked so badass from the previews i saw on their site; and if you got into it it has to be good wink ...
Posted By: pergesu Re: Open Source - 04/30/05 06:13 PM
Yeah dude. It's bomb. I can't stop playing. Neither can Ash. So buy it now, we'll guild up and pwn the world.

Holla
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Open Source - 04/30/05 10:01 PM
don't have the cash atm, remind me in may wink
Posted By: promith Re: Open Source - 10/06/05 11:16 PM
i know this post is a bit old but if you are looking for a good fps that is free go to Nexuis download
this is a free fps that is becoming quite popular check it out.
Posted By: KillHour Re: Open Source - 10/07/05 02:04 AM
Er, broken link?
Posted By: promith Re: Open Source - 10/08/05 04:24 AM
hello sorry dont know what happend to link this one should work nexuis download
Posted By: APM20 Re: Open Source - 10/13/05 08:53 AM
I don't like playing games like this, dose anyone play world of warcraft ?
© UGN Security Forum