UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin Where and how do you torrent? - 03/06/05 10:06 AM
First, for a little disclaimer. UGN Security does not condone the illegal downloading of software, movies, or music. Sharing copyrighted material is illegal and you should pay the "hard working" coders, film makers, and industry professionals for all of their "hard work".

Using torrents isn't always for "illegal" activities; such as, for instance, getting a backup for something that you legitly own (such as if your copy of window$ cd is cracked in half or if you're downloading a linux distribution via a torrent to help save on the bandwidth burden costs of the foundation. Please read the EULA which comes with your piece of software or the on recording warnings on a movie to ensure it allows backup copies (as you generally buy a key for most software I doubt they'd much care about the software portion).

Now, after that's all said and done; what torrent sites do you use? What kind of downloads do they specialize in?

Also, what is/are your favorite torrent client(s)?

Some useful off the bat torrents:
Gentoo Linux Torrents
Slackware Linux Torrents
Conectiva Linux Torrents
Long list of torrents of linux distributions at mybookmarkmanager

Also, this thread is EXEMPT from our Zombie Threads rule.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/06/05 10:12 AM
I used to use SuprNova religously but they went under due to some legal babble...

Currently I use
MiniNova - Generally movies/tv shows
The Pirate Bay - Movies, Music, TV Shows, Programs, just about anything.
TVTorrents - TV Shows (hey I own a bunch of boxed sets ok?)
TVTorrents - Differant organization than TVTorrents.ws but much of the same content.
ISOHunt - Everything
TorrentSearch - Everything
Torrent Reactor - Everything
Torrent Spy - Everything
AnimeSuki - Anime
2Torrents - Everything

As for clients, I used to use TorrenTopia but I had a load of "technical issues" (it kept erroring out on torrents I knew existed and had valid seeds) so I moved on to BitLord which hasn't given me any issues and works quite well on window$.

NOTE: - This list is no longer maintained on this post; please see the UGN Security File Sharing Page .
Posted By: Rican Havock Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/06/05 11:23 AM
SuprNova is currently developing Exeem another P2P client or prog that worked great until 2 weeks ago (it's still in beta phase).

http://www.exeem.com/
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/07/05 09:59 AM
-update= just added some linux torrent links to the main post.
Posted By: lotuspod Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/08/05 03:49 PM
can anyone look up some one for me their name is silicone toad and have him message me anytime plz
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/08/05 06:54 PM
Lotus be banned... I don't see how trying to find out information on someone who supposidly "hacked" you would belong on a thread about torrents...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 04/11/05 10:52 AM
Adjusted my list to reflect the status of TVTorrents.ws as well as added TVTorrents.com (though they require login)
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 04/11/05 01:58 PM
Added:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
2Torrents - Everything (UP)
Posted By: elicit Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 04/27/05 01:17 AM
I like http://www.torrentspy.com alot too smile I use BitTorrent to actually share the files although I must admin it's actualy sharing capabilities are very limited. I also do not like the limited ability to control upload/download speed limits
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 04/27/05 01:35 AM
BitLord gives more control in reguards to limitation (at least "overall upload speed" "overall upload per torrent speed" and "overall upload per user speed").
Posted By: ErrOr404 Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 06/21/05 12:04 AM
I like Morpheus best, not many people agree, but its got the stuff needed for just your odd here and there download.
Posted By: -=Toxic Wazte=- Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 08/29/05 10:53 PM
I use BitComet as the program

and use
TorrentReactor.to
TorrentBox.com

very nice. alot of stuff

and yea i havnt been to UGN for about 3 years so i'm making a visit
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 09/18/05 07:06 PM
The FileSharing page on the new design will hold a status indicator that will check site status of all torrent sites contained within on page load; please feel free to privde me with torrent sites for the list.
Posted By: promith Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/07/05 12:02 AM
demonoid this is another torrent download site contains many useful torrents.This is a free site although you have to register.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/08/05 04:01 PM
I've added 3 new torrent sites to the UGN Security File Sharing Page which automatically updates the status based on if the site can be contacted; updates as the page is loaded. Note that there is a 5second timeout, if the site cannot be connected within 5 seconds it default's to "offline".
Posted By: Rapture Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/08/05 07:05 PM
Usenet > *
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/09/05 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rapture:
Usenet > *
ummm, why?
Posted By: Rapture Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/09/05 02:12 AM
~Been around since the 80's
~Vast amount of information (music, tv shows, movies, programs, pictures, applications, etc)
~Safer then anything else out there
~99% of usenet isp's don't even keep a log or record of you or what you downloaded
~only one person ever has been warned for using usenet (and it wasn't from the mpaa or riaa)
~extremely fast burstable speeds no matter what.
~I've never gotten 10mbps using any torrent service. 10+ is cake w/ usenet (given you have that sort of connection)
~a lot of them give you a free email service also :-P
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/09/05 03:13 AM
Yeh but you have to have access to a usenet server, and I beleive most services charge; hefty charges at that.

Also, are we talking about using usenet to snag torrents (which this thread is about in the first place) or are you attempting to "sway" us away from using torrents (in which case this doesn't belong in this thread)
Posted By: Rapture Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/09/05 05:20 AM
hmm, define hefty? I only pay $6 a month for 10gb. Used to pay $13 for unlimited
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 10/09/05 06:09 AM
When you've just lost your job and you're supporting a family anything is "hefty" but I've seen as much as $60.

Also, if this isn't torrent related then it doesn't belong here in the first place; this thread is for torrent information only... May it be for Clients or Servers...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 11/10/06 02:13 AM
I'm playing with a PHP/MySQL torrent client right now (also uses python for more advanced features), its open source and called TorrentFlux
Posted By: Horus Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 01/13/07 03:07 AM
for the site, i like btjunkie a lot. pretty much anything i'm looking for i can find there. but...other sites i like are torrentspy and piratebay. as for a client. i've only used a couple, but uTorrent is awesome. but it's only for windows. i haven't looked too hard for a linux one, but when i find a nice one, i'll post it.//
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 01/13/07 07:16 AM
On linux I use TorrentFlux, it's a web based manager for the BitTornado client.

As for servers, lately I've been using ISOHunt a lot more often...

I still miss Suprnova and TVTorrents though
Posted By: Artic Warrior Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 01/29/11 10:51 AM
Vuze. I only just realised it uses tor. Is tor still a thing?

@Giz, you posted itt a year after an older post, hope you don't mind me posting in it after a 4 year period.
On that, why is 'bumping' old threads this way looked down upon?
Posted By: ZeroCoolStar Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 07/06/11 02:22 PM
BTJunkie.org is an amazing site...
Posted By: danni75 Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 02/07/24 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by Artic Warrior
Vuze. I only just realised it uses tor. Is tor still a thing?

@Giz, you posted itt a year after an older post, hope you don't mind me posting in it after a 4 year period.
Vuze using Tor may compromise both anonymity systems. Tor is still relevant for privacy, but its misuse can harm the network. Bumping old threads can be frowned upon as it may clutter forums with outdated information.
Posted By: danni75 Re: Where and how do you torrent? - 03/01/24 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Artic Warrior
Vuze. I only just realised it uses tor. Is tor still a thing?FM Whatsapp

Yes, Tor (The Onion Router) is still relevant for privacy-conscious users. It provides anonymous browsing, though using it for torrenting may raise ethical and legal concerns. Always respect copyright laws.
© UGN Security Forum