UGN Security
Posted By: hyperx Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/02/04 11:08 AM
Hey ppl, i buying a new lap top =) im look at the sony vaio PCGZ1XGP but dont know if its worth it? or if i should get a diffrent one? the key thigns im lookign for are; long battery life, smallish screen, enough processing power/ram to run windows heh, and wireless/lan.

any ideas?

thanks,

-hyperx
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/02/04 04:40 PM
Sony Vaio's are some of the best laptop's around IMHO; if you have the cash to blow on one I definately reccommend it...
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/02/04 08:17 PM
If you have that kind of cash, get alienware.

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Sent...bCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE#sub

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/sent...A&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE

Compare link
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Sent...A&SubCode=SKU-PERFORMANCE
Posted By: Chem Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/02/04 09:42 PM
Never buy a [censored] Alienware, they overcharge by hundreds of dollars (thousands with the ALX line) and install as much worthless [censored] as possible on there machines. Not to mention they have terrible warranty service.

They have some cool looking cases, but only a [censored] moron with more money than brains would ever actually buy a computer with a [censored] spoiler on it.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/02/04 10:09 PM
yeh, if you want a real PC pay me $5000 and I'll ship back something that'll not need updating for at least 3 years :x...
Posted By: hyperx Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/03/04 10:28 AM
gizmo what? a commodore pet? smirk laugh frown lol, jj.

yeah spanky but there in the states and id have to send it there for warranty n [censored] frown right now its either a

Vaio PCGZ1XGP
http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?...ductId=PCGZ1XGP,MENUITEM1

or a

Vaio VGNS18GP
http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?...ductId=VGNS18GP,MENUITEM7

smirk i dont know :'(

-hyperx (soo gizmo what is it?)
Posted By: Rican Havock Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/03/04 12:58 PM
I have had my Vaio for about 2 years now and never had any issues, until I installed Nero 6 which f*cked up the Firmware for the CDR-DVD drive(but Sony gladly fixed it since i had 2 weeks b4 the warrenty expired)

VAIO =Video Audio Integrated Operation

The only cool thing I like about Vaio is when I purchased my Sony MD player an connected it, I didn't require any addition drivers or software to start transfering music, same thing when i bought my Sony Mini MP3 player.

Another kool thing about Vaio's are they are designed sooooo koool...

but the best thing would be to shop around till u find the right machine for ur needs
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/03/04 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hyperx:
gizmo what? a commodore pet? smirk laugh frown lol, jj.
Projection:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
500GB Hard Disk Space (2 drives, partitioned in anyway you wish)
1GB DDR400 ram (2 sticks of 512MB)
Soyo MOBO (SATA/IDE, onboard SATA/ATA RAID)
DVDR/DVDRom
and a Super X-Alien Case (your choice of colors) with a blue LED mod ([censored] a yellow LED)...

Also, the cae has a window and side-loading drive bays with 6 LED fan's.
Posted By: hyperx Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/03/04 08:59 PM
thats sounds hot lol, right now i only havea;

P4 3GHz 512k
2x160GB sata drives (i wanted 4 250 frown )
1GB of pc3200 HyperX DDR
Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro2
CD-RW 52x
DVD-R 4x
Thermaltake Xaser3 case (black)
gigabyte cooler-pro (360, heat pipe)
thermaltake i think its 400W i cant remeber
Gigabyte radeon 9800XT smile but now i want a x800 lol

thats it i think smile

i want a upgrade frown

-hyperx
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 09/03/04 09:15 PM
I can get an additional set of hd's (even monitors for them) for additional funds heh.

Anything can be added wink ... and I can build for any price bracket...
Posted By: Magna Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 11/14/04 01:08 PM
I have problems connecting to networks via wireless with mine. A couple of friends also have this problem with their VAIO's. Other than that, I would have to say that they are very reliable machines.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 11/14/04 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Magna:
I have problems connecting to networks via wireless with mine. A couple of friends also have this problem with their VAIO's. Other than that, I would have to say that they are very reliable machines.
Be honest now, are you any good with networking? Are you sure you have everything set up right? Not being smart here but it is a fair question. wi-fi are standardised protocols, the logical layers in this are universal. Now true the wi-fi cards could be dorked up. But this is not quite likely.
Posted By: Magna Re: Sony Vaio ^good or bad^ - 12/04/04 06:02 AM
I am not quite sure what the deal is with it. We have to restart the server everytime I try to log on to the network. If the VAIO does not get to pick its IP first, it does not work.
© UGN Security Forum