UGN Security
Posted By: CrackerMac Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 11:07 AM
So, what does everyone think about this one? I'm loving it because I think Google is a great company with very creative people. With Sun's expertise they are going to do some really cool stuff I think. Time will tell.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 11:59 AM
fir those of us who don't actively read the news (go fig, I own a tech news site but i hate reading), what're you talkin about?
Posted By: Ice Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 12:45 PM
Quote:
Google Inc. announced a plan to provide free, wireless high-speed internet access in San Francisco. The service would allow users to bypass fee-based connections of cable and local phone companies.
There ya go dude lol..
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 01:30 PM
and we all know what sintax thinks on that :p
Posted By: KillHour Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 06:27 PM
If Google is going to take over the world, then sign me up. Google employees get more perks than foreign diplomats. wink
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shadow516:
If Google is going to take over the world, then sign me up. Google employees get more perks than foreign diplomats. wink
The pigs in animal farm were so nice in the beguining of the book....

I am assuming this is not about free wifi but about this

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie:
Google took a big step toward challenging Microsoft's dominance in computer word-processing and spreadsheets with the announcement Tuesday that it would distribute Java technology from Sun Microsystems.

The move will let Google create or offer programs that could take on Microsoft's industry-leading Office suite.

Under the deal, Google will distribute Java along with the search company's toolbar application, the two companies said.

The deal, whose terms were not disclosed, would make it easier for PC users to run applications based on the Java programming language. That includes the free productivity suite OpenOffice, a challenger to Office, a major cash cow for Microsoft.

"Working with Google will make our technologies more available more broadly, increase options for users, lower barriers and expand participation worldwide," said Scott McNealy, Sun's chief executive officer.

Eric Schmidt, Google's chief executive, said the deal opens up the possibility of additional collaboration between the companies.

Under the deal, Sun's Java Runtime Engine will be offered as an option to users who download the toolbar application that allows users to quickly run searches and find other information from Google.

The toolbar currently works only on computers running Microsoft Internet Explorer and the Firefox browser.

source
Posted By: CrackerMac Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 09:01 PM
Yea, I was referring to Google and Sun teaming up. Although, I think the free WiFi is great. Too bad I live 3000 miles away. Maybe they can use some extended range access points. haha.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/05/05 10:03 PM
The boys and girls at google are creative I will give you that, I have been and in many ways am a fan of google. But They are weilding a lot of power now. They now have a lot of info, personal info. As they expand in ways I am starting to notice a pattern. There will be other Free WiFI citys in the near future. Google will eventualy go head to head with major telco's and ISP's

Picture a Microsoft + AOL TIme Warner + AT&T

This will be Google. Any company in history wich wields Masive amounts of power abuses it.

Examples include

Ma Bell before the break up
Standard Oil
Time Warner
AOL
Microsoft

I am not saying google is evil persay. I am saying just be mindful of the patern which has happened time and again.
Posted By: KillHour Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/06/05 02:17 AM
The problem with that comparison is that those companies rely on money gained directly from the public, and so don't mind screwing other companies over. Since google makes its money through ads, it has a symbiotic relationship with both companies and the public. Google will continue to provide free services, hoping to attract more users, while still maintaining fair business practices in order to keep getting money from other companies. IMHO, it's a win-win situation.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/06/05 08:29 PM
Quote:
The problem with that comparison is that those companies rely on money gained directly from the public, and so don't mind screwing other companies over. Since google makes its money through ads, it has a symbiotic relationship with both companies and the public. Google will continue to provide free services, hoping to attract more users, while still maintaining fair business practices in order to keep getting money from other companies. IMHO, it's a win-win situation.
You would think. Remember Google is now a public company. They have stock holders to answer to. These stock holders do not like thier only source of revenue being ads. Google has been trying lately to find other streams of revenue due to investor pressure.

Thier getting into VOIP puts them right in the telco market. Once the stock was sold, many things changed.
Posted By: IceMyst Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 01:16 AM
so then it's the stock holders that are inheritly evil laugh
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 03:03 AM
greed is a deadly sin. I will leave it like this. Name a company that got huge Re-wrote the laws of business and lead an industry that didn't become shadey.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IceMyst:
so then it's the stock holders that are inheritly evil laugh
No, not the stockholders themselves. It's the entire system that is inherently wrong. Capitalism begets greed. Hell, the entire idea is based on a deadly sin. Too bad we really don't have a better alternative.
Posted By: KillHour Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 03:24 AM
I, for one, find it ironic that the people who are in support of anarchy, also hate free enterprise. If the government stepped in and took over everything, people would [censored] about not having freedom. If the government leaves companies alone, the same people [censored] about the companies having too much power. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT!?!?!?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 03:39 AM
wtf did anarchy come from?
Posted By: KillHour Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/07/05 08:25 AM
Just a correlation I made... I find it rather ironic that you and Learner are implying that the idea of capitalism (i.e.: the lack of input and interference from the government) when concerning business is "inherently wrong" while it has often been said (especially by Learner) that lack of input and interference from the government regarding society would work (which IMHO would be replaced rather quickly by organized crime, just like the power of the government regarding the economy has been replaced by big businesses).

In the end, there are those with power and those without. It doesn't matter how you get there.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/10/05 08:08 PM
Quote:
Just a correlation I made... I find it rather ironic that you and Learner are implying that the idea of capitalism (i.e.: the lack of input and interference from the government) when concerning business is "inherently wrong" while it has often been said (especially by Learner) that lack of input and interference from the government regarding society would work (which IMHO would be replaced rather quickly by organized crime, just like the power of the government regarding the economy has been replaced by big businesses).

In the end, there are those with power and those without. It doesn't matter how you get there.
I rather like you last line. But yes there are those with power and those without. We still have government interference in our econmy however. Look at ma-bell break up.

The Fed-gov bought 5 T-1's from MCI way back when. It just so happenes the man who started MCI left the Fed. lol. This 5 T-1's gave them start up capital, and enough to launch a law suit against the Monolpoly Ma-bell.

Flash forward, Airline bail outs. Flash forward, even more Dupont...

There are many instances of big companies helped by the fed for one reason or another. So there is interference.

As far as Google goes, I do not think you grasp the "Amount" of power they curently wield and grow daily. How many companies they can criple now with a press release if they desire.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/11/05 12:11 AM
Quote:
Just a correlation I made... I find it rather ironic that you and Learner are implying that the idea of capitalism (i.e.: the lack of input and interference from the government) when concerning business is "inherently wrong"
Capitalism has NOTHING to do with that. That is the difference between a free economy (US), a mixed economy (Canada) or a controlled economy (China).

I also implied nothing. I said all I meant to say: Capitalism begets greed.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Sun + Google = World Domination - 10/11/05 01:00 AM
Capitalism begets greed

:nods:

It is how it is set up. Big fish eats little fish. At the end of the day it is how much money your company makes vs the other guy. If you study econmoy and get into the insa and outs of what makes it work, you will find it is turely a greed driven system.

Want an example? Pick up Forbes magazine and look at the most sucessful companies. Read up on the to 100, top 500, 400 richest people in the world.

By capitalistic standardas these are sucess stories. It all comes down to money. Stock companies are driven by money. It is the reason people invest in compaines. Sure there are those who invest to help a company for a cause they belive in. The vast majority.... Take a trip to wall street sometime and watch the human pool of greed.
© UGN Security Forum