UGN Security
Posted By: bor Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 10:32 AM
Hey All.

I'm looking for hard copies of the rainbow books. If you don't know, the rainbow books are a 6 foot tall stack of color coded books which contain information on NSA Trusted Computer Systems. They used to give them away for free, but stopped in 1997.

If ANYONE reading this knows where I can find them for free or for sale, please tell me.
Posted By: Paragon Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 11:37 AM
Well, I do not know where you can buy them, since they are free, and I don't know where you can find hard copies of them, but I do know you can find them free on the internet and make your own hard copies! Here's a tip: Whenever you have a question, try google.com first.
But here's a direct link .
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 01:42 PM
he doens't want to print them out, he wants the original copies heh...
Posted By: bor Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 02:12 PM
I've actually had some progress...I've found several order forms from the NIST and the DoD. They're still hosted on their sites, so I'm thinking that its probably possible to buy them.

I called up the NIST in Washington, and in typical government employee fashion, they couldn't understand proper english without me [censored] it up too bad.

I'm going to try to contact the DoD, but the phone number in the order form is now a fax machine.

I will find these books. All 14 of them. All 6 feet of them!
Posted By: Paragon Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 02:15 PM
Heh, actually there's 33. Count 'em. Go to the link I posted. I lists all of them. It also has a link right at the top for how you can get hard copies.
Posted By: bor Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 02:23 PM
Believe me. Already tried that site. I realize there are 33 listed there, but in both order forms that I find, it only lists 14 of them. If I was able to get the others, it'd be great...but $43.25 without shipping is going to be enough for now if i can get them.
Posted By: Paragon Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 02:49 PM
Um, why exactly do you want hard copies? You can read them on the internet for free? What's the point in paying for paper? Save a tree man! You can't even get them all in hard copies anyway!
Posted By: bor Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/20/02 03:08 PM
Because I do. [censored] the trees. For some strange reason, I want a 6 foot stack of government literature in my room. I've found them on the NTIS website...or at least what seems like them, but it's like $51.95 per book cause they're out of print.

Maybe I'll order one one of these days and see how that goes.
Posted By: Grifter Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/21/02 08:04 PM
i think he just wants the hard copies for nastalga type perposes... personaly id rather have the hard copies myself
Posted By: dashocker Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/21/02 11:16 PM
hmm, well I know I digest and understand information a lot better in hard copy form and its also accessible at any time that way. P34<3...
Posted By: quicksilver Re: Looking For The "Rainbow Books" - 06/23/02 06:32 PM
If you can, getting a hard copy is always better in my opinion. Yeah downloading them is cool if you need to get the info on the cheap, but reading books on your computer sucks hardcore in my opinion. Even when I do download books and stuff I usually print them out chapter by chapter when i need them.
© UGN Security Forum