UGN Security
Posted By: hKzKnight the dailer - 04/23/03 03:43 AM
Ok so we have DirecTV. My father got this device that plugs into the electrical outlet and it makes it into a phoneline. He did that so the receiver could plug into the phone line when we wanted to order movies on DirecTV. For like 4 months on our phone bill we kept seeing a minute phone call or some to a place upsate, we had no clue what it was. We kept telling the phone company it wasn't us making those calls, a modem, the alarm, etc. So they ignored that on the bill every time. Then it clicked it was the sattelite. Why would it need to make a call upstate every so often a week?
Posted By: ObiWan Re: the dailer - 04/23/03 04:03 AM
When you order a movie on DirecTV it saves the purchase in memory, then once in a while it will dial DirecTV and tell them what you have ordered, so that they can bill your account.

If it cannot make this call then after so much has been purchased (measured in dollars) and is still in memory it will suspend all purchases until it can make the call. Typically it will make the call early in the morning, if the line is busy/no dial tone it will try again later.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: the dailer - 04/23/03 04:05 AM
LOL but we didn't order a movie in long time. Once in awhile my sis and her bf did but it just called all the time, even when we were away etc. So you are saying it checks with their DataBase if we orded a movie etc? Bastards should have a 1800 # or some, it was dialing upstate.
Posted By: ObiWan Re: the dailer - 04/23/03 12:32 PM
Weird, that is what I have been told when we had our RCA dish installed. I do not have ours in a phone line, but I also never order movies. Sorry, that is all I know.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: the dailer - 04/23/03 05:47 PM
Thanx anyway, bastards were up to no good i tell ye, but i unplugged it from the phoneline and the calls stopped. So if we order a movie be via calling by telephone. LOL
© UGN Security Forum