UGN Security
Posted By: SephiroX Measure Db? - 07/26/02 05:27 PM
As most people know, when ordering computer parts such as a CPU Fan or a case fan, the sound they give off is told in Db.
I was wondering if there was some way i could measure the amount of "Db" my computer gives off.
and if its some kind of tool, where can i get it?
Posted By: Scallion Re: Measure Db? - 07/26/02 06:12 PM
Measuring the number of decibles that your computer gives off should be fairly easy...

The way I'd do it is just to record some noise from my microphone input at a generic volume level, then analyze it with an audio analyzer. I dunno where you could find one, but fruity loops 3 might have a tool to tell you the decibel level of a clip or something.

Try a google for "decible measurement" or go to your nearest radio shack and ask for a decible measurement tool.

Remember, however, that the diff between 1 decible and 2 is not the same as 4 and 5. From 1 to 2, the sound intensity should increase 10 times. From 2 to 3, another ten times. So if you try to calculate the decibel level for your different components, you're gonna run into trouble.
Posted By: unreal Re: Measure Db? - 08/02/02 08:30 AM
I'm not sure of cost, but there are instruments you can by that show you how many decibels something is giving off.
© UGN Security Forum