UGN Security
Posted By: Shinobi Sound on Windows X - 08/15/03 07:58 PM
OK I got Windows X to work on FreeBSD wonderfully, thanks in part to sin, There is still one error that is stumping me. When I boot into x it says "I'm using gnome, by the way"

"could not find audio device make sure you have permission to access /dev/mixers/ or make sure you have sound support compiled into your kernal"

As far as I knew gnome auto detects and configures sound. So I went to cd /dev/mixers and I got directory does not exist, I made the directory and rebooted to see if it would compile then, I still got nothing. So does anyone have any ideas of what I am missing?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Sound on Windows X - 08/15/03 08:09 PM
Ok, first of all, it's X windows, not windows X. Second of all, Gnome has absolutely nothing to do with sound so it couldn't auto configure it if it wanted to. What you'll need to do is go grab a copy of ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture) and install that. The error message you are getting is because gnome is looking for sound support that you don't have installed.

Infinite
Posted By: Scalli0n Re: Sound on Windows X - 08/18/03 04:18 AM
Quote:
Ok, first of all, it's X windows, not windows X. Second of all, Gnome has absolutely nothing to do with sound so it couldn't auto configure it if it wanted to. What you'll need to do is go grab a copy of ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture) and install that. The error message you are getting is because gnome is looking for sound support that you don't have installed.
good advice.

also, a quick search on google for "X windows linux sound" returns a page second from the top: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/X_Windows/Q_20390496.html which you could easily have found yourself...

...google...
© UGN Security Forum