UGN Security
Posted By: Karma Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 01:37 PM
Hi all. Its me again. This time i want to know something about Mac address. Do you know about it ? smile . You see. I have i little program which changes your's mac address. I have a LAN network. On this LAN there is a lot of PC connected. So i figured out that i can change my mac address into somebody else. And obviously the IP Address. If i do that. Will i have that PC internet ??? (If that PC is off line) I dont say i will do it smile but i want to know more about this Mac address.
P.S. I know that my English is bad smile sry.
Posted By: Ghost Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 01:49 PM
The MAC address or Medium Access Control address is used by the Ethernet protocol to determine if a packet was directed toward you machine's Network Interface Card. If the MAC address in the Ethernet header of a packet does not match that of your NIC card, the NIC card simply ignores the packet. By using the address resolution protocol (ARP), you can resolve an IP address to a MAC address to ensure that your machine sends the correct MAC address in the Ethernet header of a packet.

By changing your MAC or IP address to match that of another machine on your subnet, you will cause IP and/or MAC conflicts. Doing so will result in loss of connectivity to the network.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 01:59 PM
MAC - Media Access Control

What ghost said is correct. MACs are only significant on the local segmnt you are on. When packets cross a router the mac in the packet changes.

The only real use of spoofing a mac is for man-in-the-middle attacks. Other than that you can't do [censored] with em. No you will not get internet.
Posted By: Karma Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 02:05 PM
Hmmmm... So what to do if i wont to take others PC Mac and match to the Nic address (is it possible to change the Nic) ? (If the PC from which i take the Mac is Shut Down)

--------------
Trust NoOne
Posted By: Ghost Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 02:06 PM
There's no such thing as a NIC address.
Posted By: Karma Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 02:12 PM
Ohhh. I see. frown

-------------
Trust NoOne
Posted By: Karma Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 02:17 PM
Thanx for info smile

-------------
Trust NoOne
Posted By: Infinite Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/22/05 02:18 PM
Ethernet Explained
Posted By: §intå× Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/23/05 02:08 AM
the NIC card is assigned a MAC address, as is everything local you have. The first several digits in a mac address are the vendor and the modle of the device.

For example
00-0E-7F-2A-FC-65

00-0E-7F
might tell me this is a "intel" modle "NIC2357"

Or a "Cisco" "4600"

Modle number are made up, I am on phone with customer so no time to think deep.
Posted By: pergesu Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/24/05 01:46 PM
You don't need to change your MAC address to receive other packets though...just put your NIC in promiscuous mode.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/25/05 01:26 PM
change you mac addrress... lol what with a new nic card?
Posted By: KillHour Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/25/05 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by �int��:
change you mac addrress... lol what with a new nic card?
A mac address is actually rather easy to change with the right program. Thinking that a mac address is permanent is a mistake that many admins make when they use it as verification. I've gotten admin access at many "passwordless" computer networks, simply by changing the mac address.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/25/05 11:32 PM
Oh my, Do explain!!!
Posted By: KillHour Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/26/05 12:38 AM
Personally I use SMAC for spoofing my MAC on computers that don't allow me to change it through the control panel. You can also do it through the registry, but it's easier just to use a program.

Also, if you want to know how to do something, you could Google it.

Any questions? pimp
Posted By: sinetific Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/26/05 05:01 AM
What mac spoofing is good for is networks that do DHCP based on mac. Even ISPs do this but to what extent and off of what peice of hardware is depends on thier setup. On a few networks I set up, you cant get an IP unless your MAC is registered. If you spoof someone elses MAC that is registered when they aren't online your good to go. If another machine already has the IP the DHCP server won't had out that address until its lease expires.
Posted By: §intå× Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/26/05 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shadow516:
Personally I use SMAC for spoofing my MAC on computers that don't allow me to change it through the control panel. You can also do it through the registry, but it's easier just to use a program.

Also, if you want to know how to do something, you could Google it.

Any questions? pimp
First off, I have earned a right to ask a gad damned question. I have spoon fed more n00bs than I can count, so [censored] you for the google comment. This is a topic and the question I asked was on point with said such topic.

Second off thanks for the links and the info. I had no idea this was possible. Though I am not really a network guy, I still feel I should have known this.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/28/05 04:31 PM
No offense, but I'm quite surprised you didn't know this...
Posted By: §intå× Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/29/05 07:41 AM
I guess I have been under a rock or something. This truely is news to me. My wireless router at home I filtered by Mac addresses, now re-thinking this. Everything I ever heard said Macs were secure.
Posted By: Karma Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 08/31/05 01:23 AM
smile cool
Posted By: scall10n Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 10/07/05 09:46 AM
Hey, I don't know where you guys learned about MAC addies, but they're hard-wired into your NIC last I checked - every different NIC has a diff MAC addy.

Hence, it is traceable - but unfeasible over the large internet. However, in a Class C network, you could probably be found. (Class C? 255.255.x.x? I think. I don't quite remember. It's been a while since that class.)

Anyway, you shouldn't spoof you MAC addy - because your card physically won't accept, as in, you can't write your little 'hacks' to overwrite this type thing, any data for a MAC addy other than it's own.
Posted By: HighLander Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 10/07/05 11:56 PM
Class C is 255.255.255.0, and

and no you can not physically change the MAC but you can spoof it and it will work as long as you use the right software, or through the registry
Posted By: Infinite Re: Mac address =] (Nice) - 10/08/05 12:13 AM
Guys, this is a dead topic we already covered frown

Scallion, wrong on all counts. This is 2005 not 1985. WTF man, last time you were here you knew what you were talking about. What happened? Pherhaps networking just ain't your thing eh?
© UGN Security Forum