UGN Security
Posted By: Micro:User1.0 Hardrive Formating? - 12/16/03 04:14 PM
ok this may seem like a stupid question but is it at all possible to completely format a hardrive. Then install some other operating system besides windows. I have a hardrive that i want to experiment with and see what i can do any help?
Thanks Again.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/16/03 04:41 PM
yeh, if you're adding a new hard disk it should come with a partitioning utility. If you jsut want to format you can use FDisk, CFDisk, etc (to format to a linux native partition).
Posted By: Micro:User1.0 Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/16/03 05:13 PM
ok yea thats what i want to do but im not sure on how to do it and i dont have any linux software.
What im trying to do is make boot disks and then format a differnet hardrive on a different computer and start from scrach im not adding like a new one or anything i just want to make a different hard drive is there any like instructions to do this beacause i hardly know what im doing but im tired of windows.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/16/03 05:54 PM
it should come on the bootdisks (at least it used to) when you boot up it should say "if you hvaen't setup your partitions you may do so now by using fdisk or cfdisk"
Posted By: Micro:User1.0 Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/16/03 06:05 PM
I don't have any boot disks. and the hard drive I'm going to use cant accept CDs i have no clue its most likely simpler to talk to someone on the phone to completely explain the whole thing the right way.
Posted By: Gollum Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/17/03 01:37 AM
check out linux.org. Distrobutions-->for category, choose minimalist. and look for the small linux distros. they can fit an entire distro on 1 floppy disk. soemtimes over a few disks they can have a grpahical interface, although i havne't seen it yet.//
Posted By: Micro:User1.0 Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/17/03 02:30 PM
well i figured it out i put the Linux Slackware in the drive and started up my computer with the second hard drive hoooked up and turns out it was a bootable software Compact 2 disk set for Linux Slackware 3.5 but i think the disk that is cracked is the disk that has the X software on it so ill probobly half to find a download on google search or something thanks for the help thanks a lot.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Hardrive Formating? - 12/17/03 03:32 PM
http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=17
© UGN Security Forum