UGN Security
Posted By: jonlenin about my ports - 03/23/04 06:07 AM
Hi all, i just got a quick question, and i love you guys cause youve been so supportive in the past. Anyway, I was wondering how i can "manually" open and close ports on my computer. I've looked at the ones that are open, and i still don't know how to set up a telnet account, (even though i know it's mostly obsolete) and discovered my telnet ports were closed. So, anyway, if you guys could help me with those two things (opening ports and telnet) I would surely appreciate it.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: about my ports - 03/23/04 06:13 AM
You cannot open or close ports on your machine. You can deny access TO the ports by use of a router or firewall.

The reason these ports are open is because a program or service on your computer has opened the port for communication.
Posted By: pergesu Re: about my ports - 03/23/04 11:02 AM
Gizmo's wrong, as usual wink

You can open a port by running a program which runs on the port. You don't actually open the port, but the program does. To open up telnet, you just run a telnet server. It'll likely run on the default telnet port (21), but you can just as easily run it on another port. You can also write a program that listens on a particular port, it does the same thing. Another thing you can do is run netcat, which actually just opens a port. It basically runs any program you want on a particular port. Sorry I can't give you more info on netcat, I haven't used it in a long time, and don't know that much about it. Google for it and you ought to find all the info you want though, if you're interested.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: about my ports - 03/23/04 12:34 PM
Lol, I said that! I said that he can't open or close them, and defined why they were open! lol...

Honeypot's also listen on ports and log users who are connecting so you can be a snitch and turn them in...
Posted By: jonconley Re: about my ports - 03/24/04 05:53 AM
Believe the default telnet port is 23
Believe default FTP ports are the 20 (data) and 21 (control).

And I am sure both perg and giz know that, just probably didn't notice.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: about my ports - 03/24/04 06:14 AM
I have a port list and constantly use it wink ...
© UGN Security Forum