UGN Security
Posted By: Napoleon help - 06/25/02 08:03 PM
I am a complete newb . i know nothing about hacking and progaming and such. However i have the will to learn. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: help - 06/25/02 08:24 PM
Go and get a few books at your local libary or bookstore. A few I reccommend:

Maximum Security
Hacker Proof
Networking Essentials
TCP/IP for the MCSE
Mixed Language Programming

Theirs tons of books, just have to have the will to learn, theil get you off in the right direction. if you don't have the cash or willpower to wander to a bookstore, you can find some stuff on kazaa for each of those books.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: help - 06/25/02 08:34 PM
Also, try to readup on some of the conversational material around here, i know that the majority is BS but we have our moments :x
Posted By: Deviation187 Re: help - 07/04/02 05:54 AM
well good thing hes not going around like SOME people saying can you help me hack this, and that.. at least Napoleon is on the right track
Posted By: BackSlash Re: help - 07/04/02 07:45 AM
i think some people have said it before. but you may consider learning to design webpages before you head into the programming/hacking world. just an idea
Posted By: SilentRage Re: help - 07/04/02 12:06 PM
doesn't matter. I'd learn both at the same time since they're two very different things and therefor not likely to confuse you.
Posted By: Mornse Re: help - 07/05/02 06:36 AM
Definatly, like SR said. Learn both because they are both usefull.
Posted By: Paragon Re: help - 07/05/02 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
Go and get a few books at your local libary or bookstore. A few I reccommend:

Maximum Security
Hacker Proof
Networking Essentials
TCP/IP for the MCSE
Mixed Language Programming

Theirs tons of books, just have to have the will to learn, theil get you off in the right direction. if you don't have the cash or willpower to wander to a bookstore, you can find some stuff on kazaa for each of those books.
Those are good books, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out. Try some simpler stuff first. Learn to make web pages, use google for everything wink and learn what you can as you go. Just keep reading and keep learning. If you get far enough, you can't not learn how to hack.
Posted By: thebluegiant Re: help - 07/05/02 07:47 PM
Quote:
Those are good books, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out.
I disagree. Those books are perfect for giving the basic,sometimes not so basic, background information on several useful and interesting topics. Google is great for a specific question or topic, but for learning the basics of what's out there? Those books are great for it. Also, IMO, books are infinitly better than texts on the internet. Better written, more thorough, and far less errors.

Another book/series I'd recommend is TCP/IP Illustrated, very helpful.
© UGN Security Forum