UGN Security
Posted By: pergesu WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/13/02 09:31 PM
I think this might be similar to the other recent post, but there's no response there that handles it yet. I've got three computers on a home network, two are running 2K and the other is running XP. I have a printer attached to one of the 2K boxes, and it's shared on the workgroup. I've configured the lan settings such that all three computers are on the same workgroup. The other 2K box is able to recognize the printer as a share, and can connect and print with it. However, the XP box doesn't. When I check out network neighborhood, it says the workgroup is the same name as the workgroup my 2K boxes are on, but they don't even show up as computers in the workgroup. Of course this means their shares aren't visible. I want the XP box to be able to print through my 2K box. Any ideas on what I should do?
Posted By: Infinite Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/13/02 10:41 PM
You tried any of these yet?

http://www.undergroundnews.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000193
Posted By: pergesu Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/13/02 11:18 PM
Yeah, see that's the thing. I've enabled File and Print sharing on the box that has the printer, but only the other 2K box can even see the computer and print from the printer. The XP says it's on a workgroup with the same name, but doesn't show any of the 2K boxes.
Posted By: Infinite Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/14/02 12:26 AM
Hrm, interesting. My laptop is 2K, and my home comp is XP. I share resources from XP to 2K without a problem; shares, printers, the works. No problems, and my lappy is part of an entriely different domain than my home comp. However, to see if I could offer any more adive I tried sharing some folders and a printer in 2K and tried to connect to em from XP. Nothing. I can't access the shares or see it on the network. Even an "nbtstat -A" with my interanl ip returns nothing. Everything works fine if XP is sharing, but absolutely nothing the other way around. I'll play around a little more and see if I can't come up with something.
Posted By: sinetific Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/14/02 12:47 AM
I had to make an account on 2K box for my XP user in order to log onto that computer and be able to file share as for print sharing im yet to get it to work. (My printer is a POS I can barely get it to print from its native machine yet alone a foreign one). You may need to instal the 2k driver for that printer onto your XP machine inorder for it to be able to print and send the data in the 2k format to the machine because it doesent transalate it or so I've heard.
Posted By: pergesu Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/14/02 01:40 AM
I've created a couple accounts, and those don't work. I can't even deal with the driver yet... I have to be able to see the shares before I can get to that part.
Posted By: Mornse Re: WinXP and 2K hybrid network - 12/14/02 09:20 AM
Do you have a guest account? I had a problem sharing folders and stuff on my XP box, but then I recreated the guest account and it worked. You could try that.
© UGN Security Forum