UGN Security
Posted By: fearme3 Connection - 03/08/02 03:00 PM
I have the McAfee protection software and I have to connect using a phone line. When I connected through a cable I could actually connect to things, like hotmail and the IRC. Now that the cable doesn't work and I'm forced to use the phone line and it won't let me connect. I think it has something to do with my firewall but I reset it so it excepts everything and **** but it still won't work, what can I do?
Posted By: Mornse Re: Connection - 03/08/02 10:59 PM
Don't use the firewall. If you are only on for a few hours a day on a dial-up connection there isn't much risk of being attacked.
Posted By: fearme3 Re: Connection - 03/09/02 03:42 AM
Thing is I turned it off and it still wouldn't do anything. I dunno if it's my computer or my settings, which I doubt cuz I've been through everything and nothing seems restrictive.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Connection - 03/09/02 03:48 AM
That was lame, its better to be overly prepaired thatn not prepaired at all. When i'm on 56k i'm always on a firewall, i have windows file shares due to my network and if i didnt run one i'd be volnerable to quite the many exploits.
Posted By: thebluegiant Re: Connection - 03/09/02 04:42 PM
This has happened to me a couple of times with Zone Alarm. Try completely uninstalling it and seeing if you can access the pages normally now. If it does then just reinstall McAfee again and it should work fine.
Posted By: loanbanker Re: Connection - 03/09/02 06:44 PM
your not bieng very specific here. What message are you receiving when you try to connect. Are you using the correct dial up number? More info helps
Posted By: psychogen Re: Connection - 03/09/02 06:45 PM
I personally would recommend dumping mcafee totally and getting sygate personal firewall.

Much better!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Connection - 03/10/02 02:59 AM
lol an di have a copy :x :x
Posted By: psychogen Re: Connection - 03/10/02 05:38 AM
heh when u got contacts like warlock who started the warez industry you can get what you want!

heheh

i 0wn all your asses!
(hopefully)
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Connection - 04/24/02 12:36 AM
I personally dont use firewalls, most of them arent worth a darn to me and i dont waste my money on them. I never had the problem being attacked w/ or w/o my network share on. Ive only had problem with trojans and usually any virus scanner gets rid of those. Im sure its nice to be secure but when it affects your daily use and if your only on a little bit a day I myself wouldnt worry about it.
© UGN Security Forum