UGN Security
Posted By: Spyrios What Certifications? - 10/16/04 02:04 AM
It's been ahile since I posted and I don't know where this post would go, I think it's a newb question, since I am new at this, anyway, I took the step to enroll myself into college to earn my AAS (it's a start)in Information Technology/Networking and Security Management. I am going to regionally accredited technical college and as part of my tuition I have the opprotunity to get certifications in addition to my degree. So my question is, if i really want to be on the security side of networks what Certs should I get. Please Pick From The following List:
CompTia Linux+
CompTia Security+
CompTia Server+ Certification
Sun Solaris UNIX System Administrator (SCSA)
Security Certified Professional (SCP level 1 and level 2)
MCSE
MCSA
MCP
Certified Novell Administrator (CNA)
Certified Cisco Network Associate (CCNA)
COmpTIA Network+
CompTia A+ Hardware and Software
Posted By: Gremelin Re: What Certifications? - 10/16/04 06:51 AM
CCNA (great)
A+ (sadly most places love it)
COmpTIA Network+
CompTia Linux+
CompTia Security+
CompTia Server+ Certification
MCSE
CCNA (great)
Posted By: Infinite Re: What Certifications? - 10/16/04 07:21 AM
Security side eh....

CCNA, CCSP, CISSP For starters...

I don't care if they're not on the list :p
Posted By: Spyrios Re: What Certifications? - 10/16/04 07:47 PM
The only one's that are included in my tution are the ones listed. So those are the choices I have for right now. Also you guys being the subject matter experts, what kind of pay can i expect to recieve once i am done with school, because not only do i love computers, i need to get out of the Navy. I am on my second enlistment and I will be getting out in
Mar 2008, and when i get out i will need to find a job immediately due to the fact that i have 2 children and they will need insurance. What certs will boost my ability to be hired? I will also have 5 years experience as a calibration technician and calibration lab manager, along with 4 years experience as an instructor for technology related courses, is there something in this field that can tie all of that together?
Posted By: §intå× Re: What Certifications? - 10/16/04 11:43 PM
CCNA (great) is a good cert to have. It really isn't worth what it used to be. I wouldn't say this is to security related(just indirectly). Now if you get this you might as well keep going and get the others. Get a CCIE and it is name your salery up to $500,000 per year depending on where you live and what company you work for.

CompTia Security+ - First off let me say, I hate CompTia. They are one of the reasons the HB1 visas are filling our US IT jobs. That said, Security+ will give you a good basic understanding of what other studies you might want to look into. It is a step above A+ for the security fields. Not really much worth. But it will give you a background and a foot hold in the security field

CompTia Server+ Certification Probably touch on security in this cert. If you want to run some servers take this. If you want to run some routers take CCNA.

You rally want to get CISSP
Posted By: Spyrios Re: What Certifications? - 10/17/04 06:56 PM
What's wrong with CompTia? Could you explain your Visa statement. and I did some research on CISSP it will be a few years before I even attempt that one. I am looking at the basic certs that will be a stepping stone for me to build off of. so it looks like after researching it that I will be taking Gizmo's advice and try to get those certs. They seem to be what a well rounded geek would need for a start. By the way, i did my reserch on monster.com where i typed in the cert as a keyword and determined what companies are looking for. Plus at the tech college i'm going to they have a board that consits of 150 reps from companies that hire from them that review the curriculum every 3 months to keep it in step with what they are looking for in nnew hires.
Posted By: §intå× Re: What Certifications? - 10/17/04 07:06 PM
Damn... Where is this? heh, Maybe I should get you my Resume. What is the average starting salary?
Posted By: Spyrios Re: What Certifications? - 10/17/04 07:23 PM
It's looking like the avg is between 25 to 30 starting, depending on certs and locs it could be more. The hire out thier grads to over 30 states and 10 countrys. I was very sceptical at first but they are regionally accredited and they are approved for VA benefits, and they have been around ince 1966 so.... I don't want to post the name of the school in the forums cause I don't want to look like I'm advertising, but if you want some info pm me and i will hook you up with thier addy. The school is located here in Virginia and there are a few in North Carolina.
Posted By: §intå× Re: What Certifications? - 10/18/04 01:18 AM
25 to 30K... Nah, I'll stay where I am thanks. After you get your degree and certs you should not accept this pay. In virgina look toward the 50 to 70k range. especially sround the DC metro area. There are Soooo many IT jobs with Government companys. Plus all the telco in the area. Northern Va is a hot spot too.
Posted By: Spyrios Re: What Certifications? - 10/18/04 03:33 AM
Well, I do want to stay with the Federal Government because my time in the Navy will count towards retirement, so hopefully it will work out.
© UGN Security Forum