UGN Security
Posted By: timer AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 12:06 AM
HI, I have a problem. More accurately, my little sister has a problem. She keeps getting harrassed by people on AOL IM. I think it's the same person who just swithces sreen names, but how do I find out where (electronically and physically) this guy is?

Thanks
Posted By: sinetific Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 12:55 AM
Social engineering. Lie to him get him to tell you. If you have a broadband connection get him to click on a link to your IP ( http://127.0.0.1 )than get his from that if you have some type of firewall/monitor. From there you have access to his ISP you can call and report abuse. Hopefully if he is on broadband also it will be easier to locate him. If he is on an older computer using dialup you could try to use the +++ATH0 command to hang up his modem followed by you phone number with caller ID on it which will dump his number to your unit when his machine calls your house. Your best bet would be to have your sister change her SN and report it to AOL. That method will work no matter what, no if's and's or's or but's.
Posted By: pergesu Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 01:51 AM
Actually, wouldn't he need to use his actual IP? Because 127.0.0.1 would just go back to the harrasser's computer. So go to whatismyip.com and craft a link from the IP it gives you. Then do what sin said
Posted By: timer Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 02:14 AM
Thanks Much
Posted By: CyberNerd Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 03:15 AM
i think he was using 127.0.0.1 as an example
Posted By: sinetific Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 03:24 AM
I think so too
Posted By: Rapture Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 03:43 AM
direct connect is still the best way to get tons of info aboot a person. Takes some work but once you are connected just "net stat" in command and you'll get his IP. You can go from there.
Posted By: pergesu Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 03:50 AM
Shut up sin, you were just wrong laugh
Posted By: sinetific Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 03:53 AM
Well, in order to do that you would actually have to have a service running for them to connect to. If they just try to connect, if you are using some kind of software firewall, it should log it as an "attack" attempt. Even if your using a hardware firewall like a router it should have a log inside the configuration utility for it. Netstat will only show established connections, not attempts.
Posted By: Curse Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 08:27 AM
You want AIM help... Message me on AIM...

SN = Curse of UGN
Posted By: jonconley Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/03/02 01:06 PM
sin: im loving that ATH0. I never thought of doing that, that would be pretty sweet. But don't different modems have different ATDT strings or such?
Posted By: sinetific Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 01:42 AM
umm well every modem that is hayes compatible uses the AT or hayes commands. ATDT would be using the modem for dailpad tonedailing. AT being the 'attention' or initiating command (all but two of the command sequences start with AT). D for dialpad and T for Tone dialing.

check these two MS pages for complete reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q164660
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q164659
Posted By: Drake Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 04:53 AM
where would you type +++ATHO??? do you mean send that to him in an instant message...?
Posted By: sinetific Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 05:51 AM
Actually reading is surely better than dumb and ignorant.

if all else fails look it up. i believe its called the "ping of death"...

im not gonna bother explaining it to you since you dont really care HOW or WHY it works you just want kiddie fun.
Posted By: Drake Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 07:56 AM
... dang. i just got [censored]-slapped. but you're right, sorry.
Posted By: §intå× Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 07:27 PM
"ping of death" heh, Mustard tryed that on me once before he got broad band. ha ha ha ha. didn't work. Probably still wouldn't. Maybe it was just him.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 10:36 PM
lol, ath0 is for kiddies :x... Its rather simple to do also, so no real point heh, its like the #1 "exploit" people learn lol...

My first exploit, owning the UBB code when UGN was still beards lol... I=reason beard moved the board and [censored] around wink .
Posted By: jonconley Re: AOL instant messanger - 12/04/02 11:58 PM
ath0 is nice when ur on dialup up also, as long as you are not vulnerable. It is one of those very nice and easy DoS that didn't require much bandwidth. Also had a large amount of ppl succeptible. Right behind the old OOB/BSOD.
© UGN Security Forum