UGN Security
Posted By: Nagachaak 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/21/03 11:01 PM
i tried to connect to ftp.redhat.com and logged in as anonymous.
this far all works fine.

then i tried to "ls" (please don't flame me for beeing bad at english or to express myself)
when i tried to "ls" this completly incomprehensible message line pop up.(see subject)
what does it mean and what do i do to get past it?

greatful for a reply.
Posted By: Infinite Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/21/03 11:51 PM
There is a setting on every ftp client called passive mode. Find where yours is and turn it on.

Infinite
Posted By: Gremelin Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 12:09 AM
Agreed, many ftp clients are total pains in the [censored], check under configure options in the connection information for yoru presant connection. It'll pretty much say "use PASV mode" with a check box :x...
Posted By: Rapture Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 12:18 AM
WinSCP2 =! ftp
Posted By: Nagachaak Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 12:18 AM
thanks alot, i was on an so called 3117 hacker channel on irc. noone knew. they said they lacked the knowlege.=)
Posted By: Gremelin Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 12:25 AM
for FTP? [censored], thats the easiest thing to learn, I don't see how they could call themselves "elite" and not know simple FTP information lol...
Posted By: Nagachaak Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 12:37 AM
heh, guess what. i turned "verbose" on and now it works. still haven't found out how to turn on pasv. crappy windows ftp.

what do you mean rapture?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 01:09 AM
and here's a man who can actually tell you what PORT and PASV is all about.

There is 2 connections involved between you and the server. The first connection is how you send the commands. The second connection is how files and directory listings are transferred. Most clients by default tell the server where to connect to get this second connection. The client sends your IP and the port that the client is listening on for the connection. However, if you're behind a firewall, the ftp server won't be able to connect.

PASV (or passive) mode is where the client asks the server where it should connect. The server will send the client the IP and port to connect to to get this data connection started.

The specific error you recieved happens when the client has NOT sent PORT OR PASV yet and you requested a directory listing or file. The server says it can't return the data cause you need to establish the data connection first using PORT or PASV.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 01:10 AM
lol rage, i didn't think they needed a full rundown of what they were otherwise I would have rambled...
Posted By: Nagachaak Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 05:50 PM
now everything makes complete sense!!!...i'm sorry for beeing stupid, i think i could've found this out myself...
Posted By: SilentRage Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/22/03 08:09 PM
yeah, Gizmo is the ugn site owner. Gizmo knows everything I know and more. Gizmo was god. But then he was kicked out of the godhead and now there's only 3 of them. He's the fallen god.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: 425 Use PORT or PASV first. - 02/23/03 06:07 AM
YES! I got crime in trouble, so he's no longer an angel, they threw his [censored] out, we went around phreakin and owning everything...

They caught us vandelizing the cathedral, that damn nude guy touching the other guys finger pissed us off, so we made it into snoopy touching goofys [censored], it was better if you ask me :x...
© UGN Security Forum