UGN Security
Posted By: Masked_Bandit First Post - 05/04/03 11:33 PM
I have watching the board for some time and finally decided to register. I have learned a lot just from reading the posts from others. I am fairly new to the computer world but have been in the telecom arena for some time and now am getting heavily into lan's and wan's but anyway I do have a question I would like some help with. I have a system I am trying to rlogin into. I understand that this should be similar to telnet. I have not been able to figure out how to get this to work.In the area I am trying to do this from I do not have access to any OS except windows which as far as I can tell does not support Rlogin sessions from command line. I have found some shareware clients and I have also heard that procomm (which I have) supports rlogin through windows but cannot figure out how to get either to work. Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: jonconley Re: First Post - 05/05/03 03:35 AM
http://www.openssh.org/

I would use SSH instead. Why? Because everytime I have asked or seen someone ask about rlogin, it generally goes off into using SSH instead for security reasons.

So I suggest trying that, depending on the linux you are trying to connect to, it may already have OpenSSH installed. If not, all the details are at the above site.

Now, for rlogin, if you STILL want to use it, check the ~/.rhosts file:
Quote:

hostname username
Also make sure you port 513 is open.

I haven't used ProComm for rlogin/ssh before, so not sure how it works. I use OpenSSH client on Linux, and PuTTy on Windows.
I am a newbie, so I hope this is right. I am sure ppl will correct if not.
Posted By: Masked_Bandit Re: First Post - 05/07/03 01:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if this machine supports anything besides rlogin. In PuTTy how would you start a Rlogin session? Say to ip address 10.1.1.1. I think I can get PuTTy for free at least for a demo period but when researching it, it seemed that it's purpose was to get into cell phones.
Posted By: pergesu Re: First Post - 05/07/03 01:57 AM
putty is free. As for using it for rlogin sessions, I don't know, I don't have a copy with me.
Posted By: Infinite Re: First Post - 05/07/03 01:59 AM
You get PuTTY here

It's a radio button you check on the initial window. Really simple, you can't miss it.

[Linked Image]

Infinite
© UGN Security Forum