UGN Security
Posted By: Ice First Program (What u think) - 02/15/03 07:42 AM
hehe finally decided to learn some C++ so started reading and came up with this prb lol = ) Its some were from a tutorial but i wrote it from scratched, and made it shorter with out a ELSE, Just have Else if's = )

What u guys think hehe

heres the link to the little source = )

http://ice.promodtecnologies.com/cpp.html
Posted By: SilentRage Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/15/03 01:18 PM
#include // of course you need the Include guys = )

that's really nice and all, but you're not including anything. It's just a #include without anything after it. I'm surprised whatever compiler you used doesn't scream at you.

And there's a logic bug in your program. It doesn't do anything if you enter 30.
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/15/03 07:40 PM
hehe, THis is was my first 30 min working with C++
of course theres gonna be bugs man
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 12:22 AM
Code
#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
int num;
cout<<"Please Guess the Number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7: ";
cin>>num;
if(num==1)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}
else if(num==2)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}
else if(num==3)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}
else if(num==4)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}
else if(num==5)
{
cout<<"Ding Ding That is The Correct Number";
}
else if(num==6)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}
else if(num==7)
{
cout<<"Sorry Try Again";
}

int a;
cin >> a;
return 0;
}
Heres another one lol = )
Little longer but simple stuff
Just geting used the Program itself
Posted By: CryptoKnight Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 01:24 AM
whats the int a at the end for? and thats too many else if statements in my opinion. use a switch case instead. Then again, thats just about style.

tut on switch statements
Posted By: CryptoKnight Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 01:27 AM
oh, i just read your other program. Thats not how you stop it so you can see it, you are just wasting memory (not like its a lot but hey, its better you dont get used to it now that you are startin to learn).
#include "conio.h"
getch(); //that will pause till you press a key
Posted By: pergesu Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 04:55 AM
You don't need all those else if's, either... just do:
if(num == 5)
{
cout<<"Ding Ding That is The Correct Number";
}
else
{
cout<"Sorry Try Again";
}
Posted By: Gremelin Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 05:27 AM
Yeh try to keep the code clean and simple, a little space goes a long way...
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/18/03 04:16 PM
Thanks for the Tips, Just started learning on Sunday. man i made it long and it could fit in 5 lines lol = )
Posted By: ninjaneo Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/20/03 03:00 PM
heh and CIN and COUT is not included in linux's gcc compiler we have to use g++ smirk
Posted By: Skull Re: First Program (What u think) - 03/07/03 04:14 PM
Thats because gcc is a c compiler where as g++ is a c++ compiler, i have used both, and they are the same except for that one thing.
At any rate, good luck with your programming, its fun, but not usually easy. I've spent the last 2 evens for like 6 hours a day working on my one program so, just be prepared to spend alot of time on it. Don't get discouraged, and ENJOY POINTERS! their your friend...

{Mr. Rage, I plan on showing up to irc tonight, if you could be there, i'd like to have you help me test my program to test requirements if you would please}

Regards,

Skull
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 08/14/03 12:52 AM
man looking at this code i posted makes me laught lol

man those programs could have been made in 4-6 lines

I am on Chp.17 Vairiable Scope
i am reading C++ by Example = )
Posted By: MESELF Re: First Program (What u think) - 08/23/03 08:42 AM
maybe you should try to have some fun and have it change the number every time. but hey for being new to programming thats not too bad. took me a long time to get even a little c down.
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/01/03 08:15 PM
So c++ i program that lets u do exactly what?
Posted By: BackSlash Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/01/03 11:19 PM
don't understand exactly what your asking coleman, try rephrasing it. if you are trying to ask what the above program does, it i just a guessing game. the user enters a number and it tells the user if they got it right or wrong.
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/02/03 03:45 AM
Ok let me try and refrase it for you....Ok so what does this program do for for the user that is using it...like if you do get the number right what happens?
Posted By: -=Toxic Wazte=- Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/02/03 09:24 AM
coleman, the program just tells u if you got it right or wrong, thats all...nothing more. even if u didnt know c++ u could go through the code and at least figure that part out
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/02/03 11:14 AM
Wow ok so why would any one want to use this program i mean like is it fun just trying to geuss random numbers in a line?

And thanks for the info Toxic.
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/02/03 09:51 PM
its just practicing, u think i am going to write a OOP the firt time i try C++ ? Its a usless program but i learned a lot from it.
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/03/03 06:41 AM
ok i got it thanx for splainin it.
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/03/03 10:40 AM
I have looked on the web all day and i cant find a free downloadable copy of this c++ program thingy bobber...were did u get yours?
(and did u acctually pay?)
Posted By: Ice Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/03/03 10:01 PM
Its a Porgraming Language...
Posted By: BackSlash Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/03/03 10:59 PM
coleman, c++ is a programming language, that means it is used to create other programs. the program ice created has no practical use other than to learn how to program in c++. as for getting c++ go here http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html# click to download the compiler. i believe it is free.
Posted By: Coleman Re: First Program (What u think) - 09/04/03 12:47 AM
ok thanx backslash i appretiate ur help and patients.
Posted By: liao505 Re: First Program (What u think) - 10/01/03 12:58 PM
I think that you can use the key-words 'switch' instead of 'if-else'.
Posted By: acid45 Re: First Program (What u think) - 01/04/04 06:51 AM
Quote:

oh, i just read your other program. Thats not how you stop it so you can see it, you are just wasting memory (not like its a lot but hey, its better you dont get used to it now that you are startin to learn).
#include "conio.h"
getch(); //that will pause till you press a key
wouldn't including stdlib.h and using system("pause"); be a little less coding. You could even define it as something like:
Code
#define PAUSE system("pause")
and then go to use it like this:
Code
main()
{
PAUSE;
}
and it would come out like this:
"Press any key..."
or similar message
Posted By: paradox Re: First Program (What u think) - 01/14/04 06:18 PM
very unoptomized code would be slow as hell.. but you will learn you taken the 1st step thats what counts so stop criticizing him :p
Posted By: Scalli0n Re: First Program (What u think) - 01/15/04 03:50 AM
C++ is fun. I suggest you get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...162557?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Very good. very good stuff indeed.

That and read some online tutorials. Write some neat code, have some cool fun. Oh, pergesu has good stuff to (find his profile, he's got links in it) and uhm uhm uhm other than that check out www.allegro.cc when you want to do low-level graphics programming.

And learn java too.
Posted By: AnthonyVSD Re: First Program (What u think) - 01/15/04 06:55 AM
Coleman, if you don't know what you'll be able to do by being able to program C/C++, it's likely that there isn't much point in you learning it. If you'd just like to play around on the web, I suggest learning the basics first. Start with XHTML and PHP.
Posted By: simon Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/06/04 03:57 PM
It's a example.Perhaps this example teaches the reader the application of the key word"if... else if...else". I think so.
Posted By: Red Mage Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/07/04 01:05 PM
Coleman: get to Dev C++ It's good smile

Ice: use something like this.. {variable = rand() % max;}
It'll give you a random number between 0 & "max"(which should also be replaced). I don't really know much about how it works, since I don't actually program in C++ :-D
Posted By: vooduhal Re: First Program (What u think) - 02/07/04 05:26 PM
variable = rand() % max;

rand() produces a random integer value.
% is called the modulus operator. It's basically what you learned to be the remainder in division. Ie. 5 % 3 = 2 and 16 % 5 = 1
As for this function, it actually only returns a number from 0 to max - 1, as you can't divide a number by a number and have the remainder equal to the divisor. Ie. a % b cannot equal b.
© UGN Security Forum