UGN Security
Posted By: ninjaneo File binding... - 09/05/02 03:39 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with any of the following ideas...

I would like to figure out a way to have my .exe "bind" itself to a pre-existing exe...

And I have been trying to make my own installer... heh but VB sucks so badly that it needs OCX's to run the god damn installer... any ideas, to get the files copied and then run the thing... because adding API would be a nightmare...
Posted By: SilentRage Re: File binding... - 09/05/02 12:48 PM
As for the file binding... I don't know if that's even possible to do in VB. Trojan/Virus uses the technique of hooking interupt 13 I think to execute their code that was appended to the EXE.

As for the installer... No API huh? Well then, here's a solution for ya. You can create your own 'CAB' format. Here's an example of such:

LENGTH|FILE|LENGTH|FILE|...|0

The length fields are 4 bytes - a LONG value which says how many bytes after it is the next file. You read the file and save it someplace. Then you read the next 4 byte LONG value and extract it until you get a 0 length which means there's no more files.

Or maybe something a little more useful:

PATH|NULL|LENGTH|FILE|PATH|NULL|LENGTH|FILE...

Now your 'CAB' file contains a null terminated string containing the path to the following file. You can then create an installer which reads from this CAB file and installs as indicated. You can even add registry strings with a format like this...

Add a TYPE field consisting of 1 byte
Type 0 = File
Type 1 = Registry

0|PATH|NULL|LENGTH|FILE|1|REGPATH|NULL|...

Whatever you want man. smile
Posted By: ninjaneo Re: File binding... - 09/06/02 09:56 PM
:-D! heh thnx for the info... 1 question tho... would they still need that god damn vb6skit.dll or something rather...?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: File binding... - 09/06/02 11:14 PM
they'll still need msvbvm60.dll. That's pretty much all you have to worry about. If a person's system is REALLY old, then they may need OLEAUT32.dll. not sure, I've only gotten that error once. But anyway, dunno anything about vbskit.dll
© UGN Security Forum