UGN Security
http://www.bentodev.org

A new concept in a new language is on the way. Open source language Bento claims to be bringing OOP Object Oreinted Programing to the the Presentation layer.

No one owns Bento. Bento is an open, non-proprietary language with an open-source reference implementation.

Sounds intresting. This will be cool if it takes off I think. They are looking for Web Developers to alpha test now. They are also looking for Java developers.
The site is served by BentoServlet/Tomcat. Now of course that is a good thing, but they offer the source to the site to everyone as well...

http://www.bentodev.org/source/index

I just might mess with this stuff.
Nope, the languages don't have a damn thing to worry about.

I'm gonna briefly discuss this language, but keep in mind I'm very blazed at the moment, and still a bit drunk. So it may be kinda weird.

Bento looks kind of interesting, it looks like a simple way to develop dynamic web pages. However, when people want a simple way to develop dynamic web pages, they use PHP. The biggest problem is that it sits on top of a Java servlet. Most people don't have any form of Java support in their hosting plans, it's just not common. Serverside Java is used by serious developers, not somebody who wants to have a little blog system on their site. Although I did write a blog system in Java smile The point is, the people who have Java support, thus enabling this Bento language, are going to be using Java anyway. So by being a language built on top of Java, it moves away from its target audience (basic users wanting to easily develop dynamic pages), and becomes accessible only to a group of developers that doesn't need or want it.

I imagine that Bento could be extremely powerful, because it would be able to take advantage of the rich Java API. It's obviously still very young and in development, and it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

It looks like it could be a good little language. Doesn't do much right now, but with some development, it could be pretty good. The biggest problem though is that it's not accessible to the group it targets, and the group who can use it doesn't need/want it. I don't see this ever becoming a main stream type language. I'll stick with Java for now (and discuss it a bit more later today, when I'm not quite so messed up).
Ohhhhhhhhh, and I totally forgot another crucial concept. The fact that it makes it VERY difficult from separating content from presentation. They've got this article that talks about it, but looking at their examples and the code, it doesn't look like Bento facilitates this separation at all. That's all well and good for the average user that wants to play around with dynamic pages, but for serious development, it's awful. So much wasted time, it definitely hinders productivity. I'll talk about this more later today, I'm gonna go to sleep now.
JSP and Java serverlets are growing technologies. It costs nothing, so I would excepect more hosting places to have it installed standard.

Plus now with Java you cut the 2 year Microsoft cost out. This beats out ASP.net or what ever they call it this year. I am going to follow this closely as it develops. If it bombs, I will let you guys know.

If it seems to be taking off... say apache group develops a mod for it or some [censored]. I will let you know that too.
I'll believe it when I see it smirk.
I saw what i believe
© UGN Security Forum