UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 07:32 PM
Think for a moment of the universe, outer space in general if you will. Compaire Earth to all the thousands upon thousands of plannets that there are in existance...

Now, one would think that if there is a million plannets, it'd be quite obvious that a few could sustain some type of life.

What do you think? How do you feel about this? Are you really that close minded to think that we're in essance alone on this one of millions of plannets?

Also, for note, those who would like to "search" for aliens, SETI has a program much like Distributed, only catch is that there is no fancy reward, just the satisfaction of knowing that you've actually accomplished something worth doing.

UGN has a SETI team to which you can browse and even join here . Our team is only a few months old, but I hope that it'll grow.

SETI Broke Down: your SETI client downloads a packet from the SETI servers, it processes the information and levels peaks then uploads the result to the server. A processed packet takes between 5-15 hours depending on your computer.

SETI has a lot of addons, which monitor the data that you send, such as SETISpy and SETIQueue. SETISpy monitors the packets and gives you a skymap and a resource listing. SETIQueue monitors packets, makes a sky map, and queue's SETI packets so that you don't have to be online when your packets finnish.

I hope to see more people joining in, who knows, perhaps we'll find something, or someone...
Posted By: pergesu Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 08:34 PM
I used to think that there was life on other planets, somewhere. I mean, with the billions of celestial bodies, how could there not be? After studying probabilities and statistics though, I'm not so sure. I don't know, maybe there's something that we might be able to consider life, but I highly doubt it. We really consider life to be anything organic that metabolizes, and the probability of life developing is almost impossibly remote. If someone wants to point out that we have found organisms that are sulfur based rather than carbon based, I acknowledge that. However again, the probability of anything developing anywhere else is, in my opinion, next to impossible. Maybe there's something out there, something sentient, that we're at this point unable to comprehend. That might be possible, but I utterly doubt the existence of life as we know it, other than in our solar system.
Posted By: ohfuk Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 10:49 PM
undoubtably, if there is life on this planet, then it is given that life is possible. also undenably is that there has not always be life on this planet. leaving two conclusions, 1-life was formed through through the right chemical reactions under the right conditions, or 2-life was brought here from another source. now if the answer is 2, and life was brought to this planet, then there must have at least at one point been life somewhere else in the universe. if the answer is 1, then under the right conditions, life can be created. now with an almost infinate amount of chances, with ideal conditions for life to be created, life must exist elsewhere
Posted By: $500,000 Bentley Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 10:53 PM
i belive.....the truth is out there - fox mulder smile

but then again there might be nothing past the milkey way, i mean if someone tells you theres millions of planets out there, u take there word for it.but if someone tells you theres wet paint u have to check it
P.S. giz, you spelt planets wrong
Posted By: pergesu Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 11:43 PM
In regards to life being created under the right conditions, those right conditions are, as with every other aspect of this issue, statistically almost impossible to replicate. I don't say impossible, but almost impossible, because it's obviously possible. The chances of it happening though are so remote that we can pretty much call it impossible. Imagine you're on the roof of a house and you drop a deck of cards off. What's the probability that they'll all fall face up? 1/(2.2x10^16). Not too good, pretty much impossible. What's the probability you'll pick them up in the correct order, assuming completely random selection? 1/(2.4x10^68). That is, for all intents and purposes, impossible. You can spend the rest of your life, the next thousand years, dropping cards off your roof and you'll never, ever pick them up in the right order if you pick them up randomly. And that's for something as simple as a deck of cards. The conditions for life to be created must be absolutely perfect. Statistically, we're a fluke.

I think that also brings up the interesting point of creationism. I don't claim to know how anything began, but I use some logic and realize that realistically, life could not be created from nothing. Not spontaneously, anyway. For something as complex and precise as life to be created would, in my opinion, require an outside force to intervene in some way.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/13/03 11:50 PM
sure there's life out there. But we're not gonna find it. I really doubt any of that life is in the milky way. Perhaps in other galaxies. But for sure SETI won't find any.
Posted By: ohfuk Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 01:04 AM
but perg, there are so many stars, aproximatly 10^21 according to some scientists, and the universe has been around a very very long time...so imagine 10^21 people all dropping a deck of cards off of their roofs over millions and millions of years, eventually someone will get them all to land face up, eventually someone will pick them all up in the correct order. and there are so many forms of life, on this planet alone. the possibilities of combinations of life are unimaginable. are there other humans in the universe? not a chance in hell. is there other life in the universe? maybe. is it inteligent, possibly, and thats all that matters, the posibility.
Posted By: BackSlash Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 01:49 AM
didn't they find something on the moon or on mars, something like the fossilized form of a one celled organism, i seem to remember that.
Posted By: pergesu Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 03:39 AM
Possibly fossilized bacteria, but they're not entirely sure if it came from Mars or was contamination from the arctic waters in which the rocks were found. At any rate, that's why I said life outside of our solar system in our first post, because evidence is showing that it's entirely likely that there's been life on other bodies in our solar system.

Ohfuk, there's a huge, huge difference between 10^21 and 10^68. It's colossal. Not even for millions and millions of years would 10^21 people be able to pick them all up in order.
Posted By: Digital Geek Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 04:15 AM
The statistics show that by the time a radio message, from another advanced civilisation would reach the earth and be decoded, their planet would probably allready died. And if indeed we would pick up a message it would take forever to send a reply.

The only possible way to make a contact is if another civilisation, with a lot more advance technology then ours will contact us.

Another thing is I don't belive that the conditions for a planet to develop life and thus later to evolve into something advanced, perhaps into an advanced civilisation, must be the same like the ones on our planet. With the conditions that we had here on Earth we evolved like we are today, but that does not mean this are the only conditions in witch life can exist and evolve.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 04:38 AM
Perg, I don't think that you're playing with a full deck...

Bently, I'mma kick your [censored].

Rage, nothing is to say that SETI will find [censored], hell I doubt they will, I have nothing better to do with my resources, may as well donate them to a cause ya know?
Posted By: $500,000 Bentley Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 07:49 PM
and you spelt bentley wrong.... wink
Posted By: ohfuk Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 08:01 PM
all the posibilities of life being formed are beyond our knowledge. carbon based, sulfer based, whatever. there is some evidence to suport that life was independently created multiple times in this solar systen alone. with so many solar systems in the univeres, not believing that life existes elsewhere sounds too sceptical to me. another thing to think about, what exists beyound our universe. what if that is also part of something bigger? what if there are trilions of universes, all part of a much larger "megauniverse". although there is no evidence to suport this, honestly i cant bear the thought of endless empty space. i also can't imagine just a giant wall or something, there must be something else. surely there must be something else, surely we are not alone.
Posted By: windead Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/14/03 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the human mind cant comprehend the concept of "nothingness" thats like asking where you go when you die. if there is nothing there then you cant remember old times, or miss anyone, or anything like that because you have no conscience (cant remember how to spell that). If there is nothing beyond our galaxy, then how is that possible? It just doesnt seem acceptable that there could be a "wall" or just having everything end. but, in a way, i guess its possible. we are extremely dumb as a race, and we know almost nothing about our surroudings, or what we are. we know we can get to some big rocks that float near us, and thats about it. and we know we cant survive on them. the rest is just guessing. making up statistics that seem true to us, but those statistacs could mean something completely different somewhere else. heh, it seems to me like this is all a big joke thats being played on us. we're just here for amusement. we can sit around and be confused, and then go back to work, like something you might see in an ant farm. they get to one of the walls, look around a bit confused, then get back to work moving sand. personally i dont really beleive in a higher power, but when i think about it anythings possible.
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/15/03 07:44 PM
Lets think this way, we already know there are "alot" of stars, that also and problably suns for several other planets in their area.
We can't see everything out there or far. But if you think about the Big Bang(if it ever existed), when the Big Bang banged=) all the rocks and [censored] flew away and spread(everything is still spreading) out in the universe all rocks probably didn't get that much differense in their speeds.

That we can se in our solar system with the planets we got beside us.

So theirs alot of rocks out there too and why should only our EXTREMLY(I can't put that extremly word sound enough) litle mass of the whole [censored] Big Bang happends to end up by one of the stars? That's totally insane if it where that way, we are just a molekyle of the Big Bang.

I'm sure theres rocks and planets out there that is on a good distance to a star that it could develop life adapted to that planet. You think that there's damn many stars but just think about the planets beside em. Species can be different according to the klimat etc.

(gotta admit I like this subject wink )

I apologise for my slappy english and my bad way to express my self.
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/15/03 07:51 PM
And i just want to add that because of the scientiest say that the chance that there's another intelligent life form out there, how the [censored] do they know that when our telescopes only se like a pair of glasses in the dark. They can se like other galaxies as an cetimeter in their telescopes and cannot get a closer look, who are they to play god and come with an conclusion that the chanses are minimal?

(That sounds all wrong and they don't say it is so they're just calculating to what they se the closest, I think, anyway i just had to say that about play god :p )
Posted By: fleshwound Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 02:43 AM
of course aliens exist.. but only right outside jonconley's windows. they love to watch him typing on his computer late into the night. they follow him to the basement when he decides to go to bed. then they hover over him and discuss whether or not they should probe him this time. muhahahaha. they're watching you conley! you best grab that foil hat of yours and be on guard!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 03:35 AM
But sammy, we have probed jon, many, many times... wink ...
Posted By: jonconley Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 06:15 AM
just when evolness had plateaued, you two come along and bring it to a whole new level.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AlienTerror:
They can se like other galaxies as an cetimeter in their telescopes and cannot get a closer look, who are they to play god and come with an conclusion that the chanses are minimal?
No, who are YOU and what do YOU know to criticize what scientists have discovered? We don't HAVE to go to the sun and scoop up a back of gases to figure out how it manages to stay lighted. We don't HAVE to go to jupitor ourselves and try to step on the planet to know that it is primarily a big ball of gases.

Just like we don't have to walk around on every planet in the galaxy to know that the chances of there being life is extremely slim.

You're not the only one to criticize scientific study in this topic. If you study up on the subject, and would like to disprove theories - be my guest, but until then, even if scientists don't know [censored], you know even less so sthu.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 05:30 PM
There could also be galaxies in other dimensions that exist within the first centimeter from your nose.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 05:47 PM
haha, jon, is that a thought from Men in Black?
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 08:06 PM
Ok Silent it wasn't supposed to sound like that.
What I was trying to say is well for an example we can take the atom. No one has ever seen an atom but the came up with the figure of the atom and how it works by calculate and do test and then they've got a model that was maybe not entirely correct(don't know really) but it matched their tests etc.

That's what i mean, our knowledge about space is still small and i think that we are just in the beginning of our space exploration.
And that about playing Gods was just a joke wich i barely explaind here:
Quote:
I think, anyway i just had to say that about play god )
I expressed myself bad there, my apologise.
Posted By: black^Pimp Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AlienTerror:

That's what i mean, our knowledge about space is still small and i think that we are just in the beginning of our space exploration.
AT, i really don't agree with you coz neither you neither me can know how FAR have scientists gone with experiments and tests about the space ? I'm sure that most of these results are kept secret untill they're 100% sure they're correct. You guys heard that the chinnese are trying to build a CITY in MARS ???

That's just my personal opinion.

btw, anyone seen the movie "SENDER" or "THE SENDER" i don't know how its called exactly but i know that MICHAEL MADDSEN is one of the head actors. That's a pretty good movie about aliens.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 01/16/03 10:05 PM
men in black....

is that some old blaxploitation flick?
Posted By: Gremlin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/14/04 10:13 AM
I don't think we will ever know or meet an alien. But it should be no question if they are out there if you just think about it there are billions of stars and planet out there maybe even more i once herd something about there being more stars and planets out there than we have grains of sand on the planet earth. that is alot of chances for life to start an alien could be some fish in a puddle on another planet or just one single cell. but we will never know space is just to large and earth don't have that much time. so the chance of them existing is 100%.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/14/04 10:39 AM
I think that there are "aliens" I mean we'd be pretty stupid to think that our little corner of the universe is the only one with any sort of life...

And i don't think that we're also the one's who did all of the pyramid building in egypt; with the science and everything involved I don't think that some imbred egyptians could have been responsible...
Posted By: Gremlin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/14/04 07:25 PM
yeah but if aliens were here over 2000 years ago where are they now? and why would they have built them? space is so large that i don't think any life forms on any planets have ever met unless there planets are next to each other. I think you underestimate the human race as far as the pyramids there have been some very smart people in the past. Here is a thought for you Gizmo maybe we are the aliens? It is very possible.
Posted By: unreal Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/22/04 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
Here is a thought for you Gizmo maybe we are the aliens? It is very possible.
That's contrary to the definition of "alien."
Posted By: §intå× Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/22/04 05:45 AM
When the American contenet was discovered it was thought the world was flat. That the land they had hit was india. For a long time people belived if you went over 35 mph your face would peel off. Before the first nukes could be set off it had to be proven they would not set the atmosphere on fire.

Is there life out there? You bet. Will we find it. Probably not us, but people will find other life. As our world crowds we will venture out. Just as people ventured to the americas.

The probability of life being created on accident is so far fetch I can not belive it was an accident.

For one all the right protines had to be in place and then assembled in just the right order. We are talking millions * millions in probability here.

As science progresses they are finding the the flagela(little hairs on single cell organisms) are powere by what appears to be an out board motor. Cell creation in our bodies is that like an assembly line.

Some are saying we had to be created. Now I am not saying God. Just that life was created from life. We very well could be a lab people. Think about it. We are just not getting into bio engineering. How long before we pick a planet and set up shop?

Also, when life started on earth(when it was thought to have started) it was being hammered with cosmic trash. It was a pit of lava, posionous gasses, but Mars would not have been.... Life could have been on mars.

Imagine, A huge meteor slams into mars, knocks a chunk out. Mars dies, It has a ice age and atmoshpere colapses. That chunk flys out and hits earth nocking a chunk out(there our moon). That life starts on earth. The colision of the astoroid cools the earth enough for life to start.

It is an offical theory.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Aliens; Do they exist? - 09/22/04 07:53 AM
Learner, on
Quote:
For one all the right protines had to be in place and then assembled in just the right order. We are talking millions * millions in probability here.
I dissagree, if you think about how our bodies work we technically have a symbiotic relationship with differant parts of our anatomy and cells; our bodies are still technically a part of evolution, BUT I do agree about the protines being presant in a place FOR it to happen wink ...

Quote:
Some are saying we had to be created. Now I am not saying God. Just that life was created from life. We very well could be a lab people. Think about it. We are just not getting into bio engineering. How long before we pick a planet and set up shop?
Easy, when people stop being so anal about cloning...

Quote:
Also, when life started on earth(when it was thought to have started) it was being hammered with cosmic trash. It was a pit of lava, posionous gasses, but Mars would not have been.... Life could have been on mars.
Didn't they find cellular proof of that?

Quote:
Imagine, A huge meteor slams into mars, knocks a chunk out. Mars dies, It has a ice age and atmoshpere colapses. That chunk flys out and hits earth nocking a chunk out(there our moon). That life starts on earth. The colision of the astoroid cools the earth enough for life to start.
Actually, from what I understand, scientists say that our moon is an asteroid that struck our planet.
© UGN Security Forum