UGN Security
Posted By: D347H Case Short-Circuiting - 10/19/03 03:48 PM
Hey,

I'm just having a problem atm with my case.
I have a A7N8X Asus Motherboard, 350 psu and a supposibley well shielded EMI case.
With these components in the case as well as a stick of DDR, 2600xp and my GF2 my problem is that the PC switches on as normal but then idles with the normal amt of power going through it and i end up with a blank screen. Therefore not even getting near post during power up. Therefore these components work perfectly outside the case.
So there must be some part of the mobo touching the back plate hence it ain't working.
Maybe I should buy a few pcb supports so it will sit higher and screws would then be elimintated therefore less static.
Anyway I'd like to hear all your suggestions and email me if u can pin point my problem further.

Thanks
Posted By: sinetific Re: Case Short-Circuiting - 10/20/03 02:45 AM
What do you mean 'switches on as normal' do you mean goes through the memtest and and BIOS hardware discovery?
I have a geforce2 card that does the same thing. The card is fried. I can switch the computer on and it gives me video card error BIOS beeps. and the screen is blank.
If nothing is appearing on your screen, but the computer remains powered on, It is not the motherboard. It is the video card.
Posted By: D347H Re: Case Short-Circuiting - 10/20/03 10:19 AM
resonabley sure that it's not the vid card, everything is fine outside the case and it all goes through memtest and it boots successfully. But it doesn't do this inside the case on the back plate.
my GF2 mx400 seems to be alright i've had it on various systems
Posted By: Gollum Re: Case Short-Circuiting - 10/20/03 09:54 PM
if the mobo is touching ANYTHING metal (with the exception of the screws that you can use to hold it in place) then it'll do what you say. make sure you have spacers between the mobo and the case, and make sure you don't have any part of the computer touching it. doesn't really matter if you use metal or plastic screws/spacers or whatever, just as long as the mobo is held away//
© UGN Security Forum