UGN Security
Posted By: UndeadBob wireless pci cards..... - 01/16/04 12:25 AM
which one do i get??
i want one that is reasonably priced and compatible with software like netstumbler and is linux compatible. i have been looking around and netstumbler says it supports certain cards with the Hermes chipset and others aren't supported.
all of this has left me very confused. some help in choosing will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Infinite Re: wireless pci cards..... - 01/16/04 05:29 AM
Netstumbler WILL run on a card with a prism2 chipset now. I use it with my linksys WPC11 all the time. I don't see why you even care about this really though... If you get a pci card then I'm going to assume you're installing this in a pc and not a laptop. So unless there's AP's in range of your desk netstumbler isn't going to find crap, and if it does find something it is likely to not change at all.

As for which card to buy, personally I'd get a card that is both 802.11b/g compliant, as b has the widest install base, but people are migrating to g very rapidly. If you really want to spend the bucks get a card that does a/b/g, but seeing as how you're talking about pci cards that might not be the best choice for you if you don't have and 802.11a capable access point.

Infinite
Posted By: UndeadBob Re: wireless pci cards..... - 01/16/04 05:31 AM
i was looking at linksys wpc11, but i wasn't sure about is compatability...
Posted By: Infinite Re: wireless pci cards..... - 01/16/04 05:32 AM
The WPC11 is a pcmcia card, not a pci card...
Posted By: UndeadBob Re: wireless pci cards..... - 01/16/04 05:35 AM
sorry it was the wmp11...
Posted By: mike393993 Re: wireless pci cards..... - 01/23/04 10:29 AM
wireless pci cards? never heard of those, they can't be very fast, or am i talking about gfx cards, and you are talking about something totally different?
© UGN Security Forum