UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin IRC Server Relocation Plan - 01/26/10 05:02 AM
Starting April 1st (and no, this isn't an April Fools joke) we will be migrating our IRC Servers from the current dedicated solution to using alternative servers.

We're currently looking towards using FreeNode to host our channel (among various other channels on the server). If you have a populated channel (which there are only a few) we will sign up a channel for you on the new server using your current channel password.

You won't have to worry about any changes, we'll be changing our dns records on irc.undergroundnews.net (which controls both the .com and .org) to cname to freenode's round robin address so you'll automatically connect there when the time comes.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel more than free to post them here.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: IRC Server Relocation Plan - 02/02/10 06:32 AM
Although they're not in use currently, the following channels have been registered on FreeNode (chat.freenode.net or chat.undergroundnews.net):
#UnderGroundNews
#BackoftheWeb
#GoNix
#DollarDNS
#Ambergriscaye

Since they're our only real active channels. If you've got a channel registered with us, I invite you to register your channel(s) on Freenode.

Starting in March you'll see some of us getting our feet wet with idling on there with the move to be complete April 1st (as I'll be changing the DNS records on the IRC servers and decommissioning the old setup).
Posted By: Gremelin Re: IRC Server Relocation Plan - 02/06/10 05:05 AM
I neglected to mention; the Freenode SSL ports (on supported servers) are 7000 and 7070.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: IRC Server Relocation Plan - 03/26/10 04:01 AM
Since our shell host has blocked our ability to login to the shells and snag a recent copy of the config's (which we did earlier in the month anyway) we've chosen to move forward on the relocation plan early; the change of servers occurred just moments ago so all irc traffic should start forwarding to FreeNode immediately.

Please note that your usernames are not pre-registered on FreeNode, so you'll need to register your names and ask me on the new server for channel access (autoops, superops, vops, etc).
© UGN Security Forum