UGN Security
Posted By: Gremelin UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/11/05 06:54 AM
UGN Security is being completely recoded this month (finally, the time has come!); I've worked hard to get a good solid PHP codebase and I believe I've succueeded.

I'm now giving you all the chance to play with the new site; note that it'll look identicle to the main page as it is now, however the coding is cleaner and a lot more streamlined... And if you look in certain places you'll notice things are fixed.

A few links won't work however as the dev site isn't complete and isn't on the main URL; these links include:
All forum links (including statistics and news)
All Search/Scan boxes

The dev site can at any time not work, I'm actively working on it so there will be errors. Some pages are not yet complete as well.

If you see an error please keep it to yourself, if it presists for longer than an hour then please bring it to my attention.

After all that, here's the new dev site: Click Here
Posted By: Shinobi Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/12/05 09:35 AM
Very nice gizzy gizzy

:pats gizzys head:

That'll go moguai, that'll do.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/12/05 12:10 PM
Today's work:
Done: staff.php
Done: jobs.php
Done: tos.php
Done: disclaimer.php
Done: privacy.php
Done: popup.php (relay for disclaimer, privacy, tos pages; mainly just the design)

Tomorrow I'm going to work on the distributed processing page a bit (likely will have it completed) as well as the file sharing and zine pages.

I've yet to figure out how I wanted to do the mailbag, but I'll figure that out later.

We're planning for a christmas release of 4.0 but at the rate that I'm able to get things done, it'll likely be a lot faster.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/13/05 05:34 PM
Not much today, I've got most of the new FAQ done and the donate, stats, banners (link to us) and contact pages are done...

I'm working on the "newbie" FAQ (basically blah blah is happening, boo hoo)...

Main sections left:
links page (links to 3rd party sites),
distributed computing (right now the only thing we have is SETI processing using BOINC; I'll be willing to take any requests towards other projects however),
File Sharing (still contemplating what content to display, possibly torrent sites and file sharing utility links?),
Anonymity (still not sure what to display, originally this page was reserved for proxies/wingates but these types of sites are a dime a dozen so i'd like to go another route)
Zine page (display links to zine's, but I only read a few so any input would be greatly valuable).

I'm also going to be looking at merging all of our subdomains into the main site; possibly the most stupid idea I ever had was to seperate the site into subdomains for content as it greatly trimmed down our incoming hits to the main site. This step will take a while though and will be done after the afore mentioned sections.

I'm also looking at possible ideas for the newbie section; any ideas would be appreciated as well.

Also, any input is, of coarse, more than welcome.
Posted By: KillHour Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/14/05 02:16 AM
Heh, good work giz. I like the banner for the newbie page. laugh
Posted By: IceMyst Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/14/05 04:58 AM
(Gizmo at Iceys PC) You know, no one has really ever seen the newbie page banner before; it's been sitting in the image directory for years...

My biggest plan is to clean up most of the web directory; it's a complete mess, I don't even know what half of the crap sitting in there is anymore...

Number two priority was to have a PHP codebase, when I took the site from BlackBeard it was pure ASP and it's difficult to find a Linux webhost which allows ASP so we had to use something differant; so I simply bastardised the site; quick and dirty....

If you think about it, I can't even believe it's taken this long to get something done lol...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/18/05 08:07 PM
I'm happy to announce that most (90%) of the pages have been completed and we're eagerly approaching a completion...

After I get all of the sections down (theres a site map which defines certain section) I'll likely immediately release the site (after making a backup for archival use mind you). After 4.0 is live we will work quickly to bring you new sections of the site as well as work to fix any reported bugglets as they appear.

I'd like to thank everyone who has had a chance to check out the new site, and a special thank you to those who provided input.

Also, I'd like to add in that we have an easter egg on the live site which is relatively easy to find however I doubt anyone will locate it without a little work (although an "out in the open" link is there in plain text as well as on the map (in fact, technically we have two, but one is a rather special thank you to all staff which will carry over to the live site).
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/18/05 08:11 PM
Oh, and for those of you keeping track:
Done: stats.php
Done: donate.php - Donate to us
Done: banners.php - Links to us (Cannot validate due to issues with formbox validation)
Done: contact.php - contact us
Done: links.php - Links to sites
Done: redirect.php - ?url=
Done: faq.php
Done: map.php
Done: share.php - File Sharing
Done: zine.php - Zine Listing
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/19/05 10:04 AM
Well, I got our distributed processing page done, we're finally in a place to show our (at least my) support for planetary discovery...

Our SETI@Home team is, at this time, the only distributed processing team online; if you have others you'd like us to look at please let me know.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/19/05 04:49 PM
One group of people that i've been wanting to cater to for some time is mobile users... A lot of people browse the internet on their PDA's, phones, and numerous other "small devices"...

The easiest way of catering to most users is RSS however not everyone understands what to do with RSS feeds and a lot of the software available for relaying data just outright sucks...

I've been, for some time, using AvantGo on my PDA and, while toying with it, decided it'd be a useful feature to build into the site for Forum Relay...

Well, it's done... UGN v4's largest addon (so far) will be full AvantGo support for most of the forum (most popular sections mainly).

The AvantGo relay will display the last 5 topics of each listed section.

If you would like to see the new AvantGo system in action while the new design is still in beta you can feel free to point your browser (or AvantGo supported mobile device) to:
http://development.undergroundnews.com/200509/avantgo.php

Please note that due to how the content is layed out the AvantGo feed requires AvantGo Wireless (the standard "sync and go" application will not function properly).
Posted By: Gremelin Re: UGN Security v4.0 BETA - 09/19/05 05:11 PM
Current Status:
Done: distributed.php - Distributed Computing
Done: anon.php - Anonymity
Done: mail.php - Mailbag
Done: newbie.php - Newbie
Done: avantgo.php - AvantGo Feeds

Next job is to sort through subdomains to see what is required and what needs to be merged with main site. Store will be updated later (planned for 4.1).
© UGN Security Forum