UGN Security
Posted By: Chem Video as Your Desktop! - 04/12/04 06:54 PM
Well I decided I wanted to have a video as my desktop, and found a simple trick in windows that does it.

All you have to do is set this as your desktop:
http://www.darkminds.com/hosting/images/video.png

then open up a media player (I used VLC, but any will do), start playing your video/movie, or make a playlist of things to be played, set your media player into full-screen mode, then ctrl+alt+del into Task Manager, minimize your media player, and voila, you have video as your desktop.
So far, I've discovered this is great for:
  • Having music videos as your desktop
  • Having adult content on your desktop
  • Having faggy anime music videos as your desktop

I was actually pretty surprised at how well this works, I was expecting the video to get messed up around the icons, or have the computer slow down when having crap open on the desktop, or problems with dragging windows on the desktop, I have to say that this is completely glitch free and hasn't effected system performance in any way.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 12:21 AM
I tried this with WMP on WinXP and couldn't get it to work with a DIVX file...
Posted By: HighLander Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 12:30 AM
Thats pretty kool, I tried it with a few programs and could not get it to go, so I d/l VLC and it worked great
Posted By: Chem Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 01:29 AM
Oops, turns out windows media player uses some crazy method for video overlay, works in Winamp and VLC though?
Posted By: weeve Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 11:19 AM
winamp does? maybe I missed that, I'd go try but I think I'll just get vlc, till I find out, I have nausea, and I'm being costantly bombarded by people now. Since a bit ago, it's growing, ppl awakening for spring/summer. My feet are cold, I'm tired, I want a shower to ease my bones/muscles maybe after that, and some good food I'll work on seeing about winamp myself:)

elite idea though, I like the idea of a video on my desktop:)

bet that works for ppl that want to pop over some window heh, and use earphones or some such heh. For alot of things, movies at work, whatever, somebody should find a way to imbed 3d games into desktops that would...most likely make some good money *shakes head* someone get working on that:) I rarely just throw good ideas away but I'm feeling "meh" right now.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 11:20 AM
I tried WinAMP, but it didn't work out that well...
Posted By: weeve Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 01:28 PM
go on when you got time bro, I'm interested as to what happened, how it didn't work out and if anything went well about it. bugs?
Posted By: Chem Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/13/04 09:18 PM
Sometime I wonder why people dont use VLC?

Quote:
somebody should find a way to imbed 3d games into desktops that would...most likely make some good money
Dilbert's Desktop Games?
Posted By: weeve Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 04/14/04 10:24 AM
or everquest, quake, xbox relayed to a video input, of say halo, um, roms, even like a linux xfree gui shell on the desktop like a o/s in o/s or even just a console command prompt for linux there. Though...clicking might get odd with that:x Until we have holographic, or virtual hmd displaying, in a REAL way for virtual feel. But more so games that are elite like that chem, really need a 3d operating system/engine to match a HMD, so that when I plug my cybermax or iglasses into this pos that's not a 2ghz or even a 1ghz. i get some nice rendering of even a highly laggy 3d cave. I remember what standing in a pod, playing with my first HMD felt like, all gun hooked up to me in a mall in Cinci Ohio.

That..will make alot of money. Holographic or HMD driven computing. Think about our eyelids even, I'd sleep with mine to try light interferance with my dreams. Our eyelids are transparent enough to light to feel it almost when it gets strong enough. IE, hold a freakin flashlight up to your eyelid closed, one about the side of youe eyelid. meh..you all get the idea i bet. esp chem. I'm just geeking out maybe?
Posted By: Red Mage Re: Video as Your Desktop! - 05/10/04 01:57 AM
the video.png link didn't work frown
© UGN Security Forum