UGN Security
Posted By: l4tn3m hello everybody - 03/19/08 07:42 AM
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and I'm also a newbie.
I am about to start school next semester at uat to learn network security. so here is my question. I am trying to build a desktop, and was wandering if there was any specific hardware that I should be running ? as well as software? any advice would be great.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 03/19/08 08:00 AM
Dual Core processor at minimum; 2gb ram at minimum; 64mb video card at minimum. Likely, 200gb hd space at minimum...

Not too bad, RAM is dirt cheap now (no $5/mb anymore), HD space is cheap (get yourself a 750gb hd for under $200; which is insane, i bought my 500GB hd for like $500!)...

Processor will vary based on if you want to be AMD or Intel; which will decide a lot more...

Myself, I'd go AM2 processor, Dual Core, 2GHz+, 2-4GB ram based on what you can afford. Some motherboards support up to 8GB ram... I remember when they just started 8MB! lol
Posted By: l4tn3m Re: hello everybody - 03/19/08 11:20 AM
Nice any specs for a laptop? for next years defcon?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 03/19/08 03:08 PM
When I tell peopel to buy a laptop, i recommend the largest video card, processor, and display they can afford; you can always buy hd's and ram...
Posted By: l4tn3m Re: hello everybody - 03/20/08 12:02 AM
wow thanks for the tips...
Posted By: Digital Geek Re: hello everybody - 05/11/08 12:55 AM
Whatever you do make sure you get an NVIDIA gfx card and none of that ATI crap laugh

</flamebait>
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 05/11/08 03:10 AM
Actually, I used to be a really big ATI fanboy... but the latest cards i played with are crap.
Posted By: §intå× Re: hello everybody - 05/31/08 12:33 AM
NVIDIA has always had decent LINUX support and therefore I have always been a fan. Plus the one driver deal was NICE
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 05/31/08 04:35 AM
I don't know, it seems retarded sometimes, the one driver for all crap... Every time I update drivers i have a problem, on my DVR it shows black and white on svideo output; i have to go in and do "restore defaults" on ONE option, which I never remember where it is... lol... so i spend 2 weeks looking for it then eventually i find it lol...
Posted By: §intå× Re: hello everybody - 05/31/08 09:35 AM
~ehem~ when you find it next time... make a note to yourself in email. Subject... NVIDIA bullshit

Then you can search for it and cut two weeks down to 5 minutes. /me walks away whistling.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 05/31/08 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by §intå×
~ehem~ when you find it next time... make a note to yourself in email. Subject... NVIDIA bullshit

Then you can search for it and cut two weeks down to 5 minutes. /me walks away whistling.
die
Posted By: §intå× Re: hello everybody - 05/31/08 10:50 PM
Awe you know you like a good smack on your booty. /me nuzzles up to gizzy.
Posted By: IceMyst Re: hello everybody - 06/01/08 06:12 AM
hey dont get too close there sintax. you're encroaching on my territory :P
Posted By: §intå× Re: hello everybody - 06/01/08 06:40 PM
pssst, shhhh Giz, she don't have to know.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: hello everybody - 06/02/08 01:48 AM
wink wink...
© UGN Security Forum