UGN Security
Posted By: staltax Scanning and stuff - 11/05/03 12:55 AM
Is there any way to use a portscanner without being detected? I have experimented a little on my home-network, but since it's just two windowsboxes and linuxmachine, it would be interesting to try something else, but i'm the paranoid type and i'm afraid to get busted.
I also wonder if there are any good free shellaccounts, where it's possible to do more than just read my mail...
Posted By: Synthetic Angel Re: Scanning and stuff - 11/09/03 07:24 PM
to answer your second quetion 1st, a good way to get a shell account is get one from a friend on an irc server, or whoever else runs a *nix box.

now your 1st question. Normally you could get caught, most isp's (broadband) will detect you giving someone on their network a portscan. Also most businesses log or block them. People say they can't be detected, but honestly the best way to do it would be from a box somewhere on the pacific rim network.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Scanning and stuff - 11/09/03 09:23 PM
try idle scanning.
http://www.nmap.org/nmap/idlescan.html
Posted By: staltax Re: Scanning and stuff - 11/16/03 08:56 AM
Thanks! That idle scan thing looks very interesting... But I'm still worried that my ISP will be able to detect it... That's what I need a shellaccount for, to do it outside my ISPs network... But I'm not sure I would want to do that from a friends box...
© UGN Security Forum