UGN Security
Posted By: Asteos Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/22/02 10:53 PM
I feel like a punk having to ask this, but how do you find out the ip address of a machine runnig xp? I tried the old fashioned 'winipcfg' but it doesn't work.
Posted By: Asteos Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/22/02 11:12 PM
Okay scratch that - Somehow I figured it myself.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/22/02 11:36 PM
Windows XP doens't come standard with some of the tools included in previous verions. You'll have to download WinIPCFG elsewhere, but it'll run perfectly on your box, or you can go to www.whatismyip.com , there are tons of ways..
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/22/02 11:57 PM
hey that site is pretty cool. Dunno if you've noticed, but sometimes I connect to the IRC and leave soon after. It's when I'm at work and I wanna know the outside IP for the network I'm connecting from. but that site is more convenient than having to connect via telnet to IRC and negotiating logging in and whois'ing myself.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/23/02 06:23 AM
Lol yeh, I have noticed, just throught that you chose the wrong server or something... heh i use that site when I'm bored and need to be sure my netowrk is up or for testing proxys lol...

Its rather nice concidering... But I tend to always have winipcfg installed so that i can check local addresses since i tend to be networking...
Posted By: BackSlash Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/23/02 07:07 PM
thats sites convenient, however, just by looking at the source i fail to see how it determines your ip. just wondering
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/23/02 08:12 PM
um, backend processing. The script that drives that site could be CGI. I haven't looked too closely at it to be sure of the method.
Posted By: pergesu Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/23/02 11:25 PM
Right, there's a program on the server that figures out your IP then sends some HTML. None of the logic is shown because it's all on the other computer.
Posted By: Mornse Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/30/02 04:18 AM
It could be PHP, it's really easy in PHP. I made a script once that logged the IP of everyone who came to the site. It was like 3 lines long and I could just as easily display the IP. Just search under the functions section on www.php.net if you really want to find the exact code.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/30/02 12:47 PM
Here's my perl script which logged everything (date, IP, domain, and browser type/version) in a HTML formatted file. Just add a SSI exec line to your home page and it's a go.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

$Date = `date +"%D %T"`; chop ($Date);

open (LOG, ">>/home/nightfir/log.html");
print LOG "\n<TR><TD Nowrap><FONT Color=ff0000><B>$Date</B></FONT></TD><TD Nowrap><FONT Color=ff0000><B>$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}</B></FONT></TD><TD Nowrap><FONT Color=ff0000><B>$ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'}</B></FONT></TD><TD Nowrap><FONT Color=ff0000><B>$ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'}</B></FONT></TD></TR>";
close (LOG);

exit;
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/30/02 08:03 PM
They could use SSI to call the information to the page from another file...
Posted By: BackSlash Re: Windoze XP IP Addy - 09/30/02 11:09 PM
thanks for the explanation...
© UGN Security Forum