UGN Security
Posted By: Lucky7 Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 08/24/03 03:45 AM
I have a quick question about case sensitivity. I want to attempt to use a wordlist to find a password for a known user on a Windows NT server with FTP access (Microsoft FTP Service Version 5.0). The program I use is Brutus. To test it out, I set up my home computer as a FTP server with Bulletproof FTP. I set up a user account and a password. Then I added the password to my wordlist in all lowercase letters. When I ran Brutus it displayed that no matches were found. I then changed the first letter to a capital and Brutus found the password. This led me to believe that it needed to be the correct case; but then I used CuteFTP to connect to my home server and tried the password in all lowercase letters and it gave me access. I was wondering if this was just an issue with my program, Brutus or what? I only ask because I would rather not have to double the length of my wordlist by altering the first letter of every entry. I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 08/24/03 04:37 AM
Some programs (can) use case sensitive passwords.
Posted By: Scalli0n Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 08/24/03 06:34 AM
...google...
Posted By: Ntd Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 08/25/03 04:33 PM
Blah (Scalli0n) if u don't know just say you don't know! Just don't refer people to google!

and Lucky it does sound case sensitive
Posted By: D347H Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 08/26/03 07:19 PM
hey lucky7, just like to put in my word, ever used x-scan? it picks up all types of pass's especcially focusing on nt passwords, it functions same as brutus. If you don't have it it's @ xfocus.org or u can email me and i'll send the latest version of 2.3. I use it to pick nt pass's on a few .edu's so if u want a run through of the prog msn me.
Hope i helped
Regard D347H
Posted By: r@yn0 newbie Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 10/03/03 06:03 PM
hey guys, i'm new around here but just want to ask, i saw something about l0phtcrack that it can connect to the comps ip and brute force the password and connect you, but i have no clue how to do it. can someone help?
Posted By: r@yn0 newbie Re: Brute Force Case Sensitivity - 10/03/03 06:05 PM
damn, got to disconnect
© UGN Security Forum