UGN Security
Posted By: champatram What is net without TELNET - 08/29/04 10:52 AM
The school I study in has dissabled telnet. We log on to our servers through SSH client for security(????). However what can a aspiring hacker like me can do now. I am unable to connect to the outer world, participate in IRCs, download cool staffs etc. Is there a way still to connect to servers outside, please help me.

help
Posted By: §intå× Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/29/04 12:55 PM
Look into tuneling

google Putty
Posted By: Gremelin Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/29/04 03:06 PM
At HostNuke they disable Telnet on all servers by default as in the past it is the most widely exploited linux service; plus SSH uses encryption to connect to the server so data can't be "sniffed".
Posted By: champatram Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/29/04 08:08 PM
Spanky, can you please give me some more information about tunneling. For example how do I connect to cyberspace.org(grex).
In SSH, data can't be sniffed, but one can easily launch man in the middle attack. So what's the point of disabiling telnet.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/30/04 07:51 AM
The point of disabling telnet can be found via Google; try searching for "Telnet Exploit" (including the ""); you will see 954 results of differant ways of exploiting the service. Additionally you can just search telnet exploit for more results.
Posted By: §intå× Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/30/04 10:19 AM
champatram,

What ever you are using telnet for you can use ssh. It is just more secure. As Silent Rage allways said, telnet is not a protocol, it is a service. ssh is the same thing, same as rlogin
Posted By: sinetific Re: What is net without TELNET - 08/30/04 06:53 PM
heh "easily" launch man in the middle attack....
Posted By: champatram Re: What is net without TELNET - 09/01/04 01:42 AM
You all are not getting my point. I am not able to connect to any servers outside my school. They only allow Telnet connections. How do I go about it. I am not even able to participate in IRCs, which is very frustrating.
Posted By: Ghost Re: What is net without TELNET - 09/01/04 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by champatram:
The school I study in has dissabled telnet.
Quote:
Originally posted by champatram:
I am not able to connect to any servers outside my school. They only allow Telnet connections.
Which is it?

Also if you really need to connect to an IRC server, try using a SOCKS proxy, or connecting on a non-standard port. Most have 6660-6669 open, but most schools only block port 6667.
© UGN Security Forum