UGN Security
I got a fairly old computer recently and I was going to format the hard drive and install Linux on it, but I lost all my boot floppy�s, so I decided to just use the windows recovery cd and format it from there. Now I realize that when it says to press any key to boot from the cd, I can�t press any key!

The computer with the problem is an hp Pentium 2, and the keyboard is a Logitech elite USB keyboard that is less then a month old, and the reason I am using a USB keyboard is because the PS/2 ports on the computer are busted (they don�t recognize any keyboard or mouse anytime, and don�t even give then power)

So can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Flickmaster
Since the computer has no OS and no drivers, The USB doesn't know what is what and who is who. The only way to do this would be to get the ps/2 ports working so you can plug it in there. If there is no hope in getting the ps/2 ports going then. I can't think of anyway to get around it. It looks like you may be out of luck.

Sorry I couldn't deliver better news. Maybe someone has something weird that you can do to try to get it working
Possibility it to check the BIOS to see if there is an option to enable USB devices. Often there is nowadays, cannot vouch for that old of a system, but you might as well give it a shot.

Usually try ESC or DEL to get in. It should tell you somewhere upon initial bootup
if you havnt formatted yet try going
to ur manufacturer's site and flash ur bios
Posted By: Defcon Re: Computer cant "see" USB keyboard at boot? - 01/02/04 01:08 AM
Flashing a Bios might not fix everything, infact if you don't know anything about your comp, flashing your bios can [censored] up your computer in more ways then one.
The Computer still has windows XP on it, and i cant get into the bios options because the computer doesnt see the keyboard when it starts up, the PS/2 ports seam like they are beyond repair, but i dont really know much about hardware and such, is there any other way to get to the bios options with out using a keyboard? like a floppy?

- still stumped
Flickmaster
The BIOS is accessed by keystroke, there is chance that if you clear the CMOS it will automatically take you into the bios into configuration. It did it with my new motherboard so you never know, It worth a shot.
So is that the only way to access the BIOS?

Any way to go through windows?

Any way through windows to make my computer see the keyboard at boot?

Any thing with floppies i could try?

- Geuse i might have to try clearing the cmos, i think thats a little switch i have to turn to clear on the mother board, but i am not sure
You can't change BIOS settings through windows. Does your motherboard have USB built in or is it a USB card? How do you know the PS/2 ports aren't getting power? you have a volt meter? If you can give us the computer model, or the motherboard model and manufactuer i can get you a motherboard manual and we can see if there are any possibilities.
The way sinetific suggested would be a very good way to go. It would be a good idea to try that route.
© UGN Security Forum