UGN Security
Posted By: General Cogs Noob in search of not noobs - 06/07/05 06:54 AM
I am a gamer of twelve years and a wanna be hacker of about a month, what some people can do with computers amazes me. If anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be very much appreciated.I do not necessarily want to become a full blown cracker, just have the ability to manipulate a computer to whatever means. Money is a slight problem but books and software are not completely out of the question. Please don't burn me just because I'm a noob. pray
Posted By: KillHour Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/07/05 07:06 AM
First of all:

Quote:
Origionally posted by Gizmo:

13. Teach me to hack. We won't teach you to hack, EVER; hacking is illegal. All we're going to do is tell you to read Our File Archive and to check Google. We won't tell you how to hack; if you ask you'll be flamed and banned, simple as that. We don't want to hear "I'm trying to hack my wife's/brother's/girlfriend's/whoever's hotmail account and you need help; we don't [censored] care!
-Read THE RULES

Second: THE PRO HACKER\'S RESOURCE wink

/end rant
Posted By: General Cogs Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/07/05 07:21 AM
Sorry, I used hacking as a general term for knowing how a computer or program operates and being able to manipulate that computer or program to your own whim, I was under the impression that not all hacking is illegal and some of it actually has benefits for other people, such as changing a file from a game to make it different or more challenging. If I did use the term incorrectly then thank you for the correction on my word usage.

By the by, shadow old chap, whats the deal with your signature? Are you just really into the army or is there some funny story behind it?
Posted By: Ghost Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/07/05 03:40 PM
Where do you get off asking him what his signature is about when you just made a post that's a against the rules?
Posted By: Infinite Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/07/05 05:32 PM
And where do you get off being a constant [censored] to people Ghost? Jeez, give the kid a break. He didn't ask how to break into anything. He asked how to HACK, which to some of us purists is a very legitimate question. He cleary stated he wasn't interested in cracking, merely being able to manipulate a computer. THAT IS WHAT HACKING IS! And a lot of us here do it on a daily basis. So settle down you power-crazed n00b and go back to your xbox.

Since I'm flaming now... Hey shadow... Would ya quit with the friggin rule spamming? WTF are you? The UGN rule narc? Get a life and stop being so anal retentive. Us admins know WTF the rules are. Most of us tend to enforce the Spirit of the rules and not the letter. Stop being such a facist about them.

Now, as for you Private Gears... I must admit, I have some reservation about how to answer your question. I have met a plethora of gamers who decide simply cause they game on their puters that the natural path to follow is in IT. This is sorely not the case as most vidiots just don't have the attention span to sit and read a book on how something works.

in order to manipulate a system you have to completely understand how that system works. Once you know how it works, you can produce unintended behavior by doing things to it that was either not intended, or not expected to produce results other than what it was designed for. The analogy I like to use is that of a mechanic and his car.

A mechanic knows how an engine works; how it's put together, what parts move, what o-ring goes where and what grease certain bearings use. A mechaninc might, for example, look at a certain model of engine and KNOW that if he changes the gap in the sparkplugs he can get 3 more horsepower out of it. That would be what us computer geeks call a "hack".

I guess my point here is that there is no one direction to go, other than up. Pick something, anything, that you find interesting about your puter and then read everything you can find on that subject. Google is your friend. During the course of learning about that you will undoubtably have more questions and more areas of interest to explore.

Infinite
Posted By: pergesu Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/13/05 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinite:
Since I'm flaming now...
Man...I always knew.
Posted By: xacex Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/13/05 04:56 AM
oh [censored]. bahahahhaha.

wtf_pwn
Posted By: ErrOr404 Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/14/05 05:25 PM
Get a good book on hacking like 'Hacking: Exposed' and get books from your local library on Linux, Windows etc. Take your time studying them, trust me, it worked for me. laugh
Posted By: Ntd Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/16/05 08:35 AM
Ghost != Gizmo ROLF, that has to be the funniest thing i have seen all day. GG

On the hacking issue, read RFC's thats about it, or find a site with the latest exploits and follow the "how-to's"
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/16/05 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NTD .:
Ghost != Gizmo ROLF, that has to be the funniest thing i have seen all day. GG
What, people kept addressing me when responding to him smirk...
Posted By: Ntd Re: Noob in search of not noobs - 06/17/05 06:14 AM
Come on, you have to say thats funny! Its prop only funny to me because i went Ghost != Gizmo, wtf !=, Oh not equal to, lol thats a good one!
© UGN Security Forum