UGN Security
Posted By: ilumin34 best books about hacking - 03/13/02 03:43 AM
sorry about the lack of information on my last post. but i was wondering are those books like beginners guide to mostly harmless hacking even worth it? because i find it hard to believe that you're going to be able to find information that is useful to real hacking in a book publicly sold.
Posted By: Skull Re: best books about hacking - 03/13/02 04:21 AM
You might be suprised, GTMHH are a great place to start. They are simple enough to understand yet they give you an idea of what items are avabile to you in the hacking world. Also remember, just cause its sold in stores, dosn't mean its bad. Many business will employ hackers to try to crack their systems inorder to prevent future break in's.

Skull,
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: best books about hacking - 03/13/02 04:49 AM
Hello people of the Underground. I am a fan of UGN but never signed up for the forum. It isn't about hacking for say but a very good book. I enjoyed reading it. It is called The Hacker Crackdown by Bruce Sterling. Also there are a few good books to read, Secrets of a Super Hacker but the Knightmare, Hackers Ethics ( I forgot the author), and THe Cathedral and the Bizzar by Eric Raymond. That is a bit dif story but I have met Mr. Raymond and use to email him. He is of course brilliant yet also very useful to help your path of knowledge. Enjoy, I also my self am going to print what books the others have to say.
Posted By: Mornse Re: best books about hacking - 03/13/02 08:39 PM
Well, i'm reading Hacking Exposed now, and getting a lot of good information. Definatly read the GTMHH, they are great. Check out books like "NT 4 Network Security" for windows security and there are lot's of good books around. Get more technical books though, rather than books about "hackers".
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: best books about hacking - 03/13/02 11:11 PM
Later on you have a lib of books. I have CISCO books, A+, Security, all my Unix, DOS, Linux, and windows books. I have several for work. Remember "knowledge is power". Learn all you can. If you also can (reading takes time, yet I always leave room to read every night) about electronics, phones, etc. Besides the use of phreaking and hacking, it isn't always about that. I find this stuff interesting. That is why I work in the IT field and I enjoy learning more and more. Have a good night.
Posted By: Snake Re: best books about hacking - 03/14/02 09:04 AM
Im readin Hacking Exposed: Third Edition at the moment which is in my opinion a very good book. Also another good one is "Maximum Security". Although they say they are security books, i notice alot in the hacking exposed one they talk from the view of the hacker <i>Quote: From here we can suck all the information we need from the server we are trying to enumerate...</i>
Posted By: Deviation187 Re: best books about hacking - 03/28/02 12:53 AM
I dont know a lot about hacking but from what ive read here its kinda helped, its not a book but its a good site on it http://www.securitywriters.org/texts/internet%20security/become_hacker.html#WHAT_IS
Posted By: Moffesto Re: best books about hacking - 04/23/02 09:04 PM
Yes, hacking exposed seems like a very good book. I recommend everyone checking it out. smile
© UGN Security Forum