UGN Security
Posted By: Geek142 Computer (Turns itself on) - 05/07/05 02:47 PM
Greetings

Lately my computer has been turning itself on in the middle of the night. I think there might be a timer or something in the BIOS but i am unsure, For like a week it doesn't turn on during the night then for a couple of says it does. I thought it might also be a power problem but i am not 100% sure. At the moment it hasn't been turning on for a while but i thought i would just ask because i was curious. smile

Later

Geek
Posted By: Ghost Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 05/07/05 03:17 PM
Control Panel > Power Options > Power Schemes > Always On > Apply
Posted By: KillHour Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 05/07/05 03:20 PM
My knowledge on the subject is limited, but the BIOS might be a good place to start. On my computer (Dell Dimension 4700 running Win XP), in the boot set up I have the option to set my computer to turn on at a certain time on particular days of the week. Also, you could try disabling the "auto-boot computer after power falure" option. This will solve any problems with faulty wiring or the power supply.

Good Luck,

shadow516
Posted By: Geek142 Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 05/07/05 03:26 PM
Hey

Thanks for the feedback guys/girls.
I will wait and see if it works

Geek
Posted By: ErrOr404 Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 06/17/05 10:23 PM
Unplug it...
Posted By: Ntd Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 06/18/05 07:54 AM
Lol Err0r404!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 06/18/05 12:02 PM
I had the same "problem" (well, not a problem, in fact I quite like it) with my HP; see, there is a BIOS setting for "when computer crashes power on"; additionally there are numerous Wo functions (WoLan, WoModem, hell I think there is a WoUSB and WoSerial as well)

Myself I like the feature as when the PC is on and I have a crash I expect it to come back; it sucks when I'm 3000mi away and I have to call my roomate to have to get a system powered back on lol...

Additionally there could be a BIOS/Battery issue at hand, the system could even be reading a short as a Wo signal and be powering on... There are a few possibilities; likley though just flash the bios or even go so far as to replace the battery... In the end the largest replacement would be the MoBo; but lets behonest, it's not like a new MoBo is that expensive...
Posted By: AMD/GeForce Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 06/21/05 06:27 AM
on some computers in bios there is some kind of awake on somthing i saw it wile i was my random reboot problem on a borowed gateway.... i still dont know y it dose it. but check for odd things like that.
Posted By: Shinobi Re: Computer (Turns itself on) - 06/23/05 06:29 AM
sometimes my neon light in my computer flickers...is there a setting in the bios for that too!?!!! smile
© UGN Security Forum