UGN Security
I'm a beginner at the whole hacking thing, but I know i'm very capable of learning how to do it. My only problem keeping me from learning is the question, Why. Whats a good reason to hack, other than being able to say, Hey dude i'm a hacker. I would think it to be cool if I could get on to someone elses computer from mine, i'm sure this is possible I just don't know how to do this. But that is definetely something I'd like to learn if someone would mind taking the time to teach me. But anyways please give me a few reasons to be a hacker. E-mail me or just reply to the post. Thanks for hearing me out and any help would be much appreciated.
Im kinda of a newbie also but one thing i do know.... know one will teach you, you have to learn yourself. Ive been browsing awhile for a long time and yet still learning. I just like reading and experiminting.... I have no real reason to hack other than that. I don't go around bragging to people "hey dude, i can hack you so give me your lunch money." ha.
Reasons to hack? Well, most people start hacking cause of the rush. For sure back in the day when I started to learn how to hack and felt really l33t0 with my keyloggers, I got a rush several times. It's just thrilling.

Another reason I found to hack is cause of restrictions at school. You want to install Yahoo Messenger but you don't have the permissions - well screw that. Let's crack that SAM file and get the password so that you can have ADMIN and install yahoo messenger like ya wanna!

After that, the only time I've desired to do a 'hack' is when I'm learning something. I wanted to learn how to take advantage of netbios shares. So I learned how to do it, I browsed around on a few people's harddrives, then never bothered with it again. It's the same deal with exploiting IIS web servers. Just wanted to learn how to do it - do it - then never do it again.

That last reason I gave is a rare one. Now-a-days I don't want to be a hacker. Sure, sometimes I may do a hack, but that's not what I enjoy. I enjoy programming. I say that programmer/hackers (reverse engineering and patch making is an example) is a lot l33ter than exploiter/hackers.
I guess that it is a big reason for me, the experience, to know how, the excitment and restrictions at school... which im still trying to crack, **** things , lol
You'll learn a great amount if you stick with it.
Maybe if you need a reason then it's not for you? Most people, at least I did, start because it's interesting to you. Computers are extremely interesting and that's why I started. If you don't have a reason then it's probably cause it's not something you are interested in doing and therefore not the thing for you.
I myself is very interested in hacking, computers, programming, and that whole field. Theres nothing more i enjoy than computers and learning about them. I have no real reason besides im interested in learning as much as i can, and i love to learn and read.
one reason alone

knowledge
that was a very stupid question. You already know why you want to be a hacker, now you're jus lookin for an alibi with this knowledge and exploration bull****. don't be a scene whore, jus say "i wanna be a hacker cause I think it's badass an I wanna show of my skills" 90% of people here feel the same way but they're to afraid to admit it cause of this whole Hacker Ethics ****. Jus keep it real.
bah, don't be a hacker. Be whatever the hell you want. If the knowledge that interests you the most takes you down that path, then so be it...
/me grumbles over what ? said

90% eh?

I feel that a lot of us ARE being real. You'd be surprised at the REAL ethics some of these guys hold. And the ones who don't exhibit such ethics don't pretend to have them. smile I've argued with some of them on the finer points of ethics - some more some less ethical than I am.

As for you, you are 1 of two types of people. Either you're new to this site and making gross assumptions based upon nothing but general experience and actually know absolutely nothing of what you're talking about. Or you're an older member hiding behind a new nick.

Some of these guys don't hack, and don't want to ever hack. They just visit for their area of expertise like hardware. Yeah, that's an excellent example. Lots of these guys know hardware and build computers and stuff - but don't know or care one flip about hacking. They just hang out to have fun and knock information and news around.

I don't consider this site to be a 'group' where all share and pursue a common interest. This is a community with many varying types of people, and any stereotypical remark would not hold true to even half of the members.

/me sits down and folds his hands quietly looking at ? impassively
/me pats SR & thinks he wants admin the hides in corner....

?, as SR said, the rough majority of people here don't hack, if you take into account of most of the scenes, Hacking-Phreaking-Cracking-Anarchy-adult content-Warez kiddies, etc. you'll realise that most people fall into one, if not many. Some people just like to talk, they just stop by to look for friends and others dealing with probs that they are, etc... We're like teenchat, hell we have enough teens :x.
wow SR, you always surprise me, hehe. actaully I got a new comp and lost my password an the old email address too so thats wy I gotta new nick, an I'm not tryin to hide, anyon thats checks my profiles knows who I am.

I did say 90% didn't I, thats cause I know some people, like you, actually love to learn and programm and do have ethics. I'm jus not one of em an over the last 2 years I've realized a lot of other aren't either. not jus here on UGN, but on boards an chatrooms everywhere.

The thing that ticks me off is that everyone wants to act like they're good and that they'e in it for the love of knowledge and all that. I used to be like that too, trying to fit in with the crowd, tryin to live by the hacker manifesto. but then I realized that the only ethics I actually live by are the ones the suite me. It's kinda like religion, people are in it to go to heaven. but when it comes down to not commiting sins all of the sudden they forget about religion. bu they still wear the cross around they're chest. I'm not just talkin bout christians, it's every religion.

I want to aviod becoming one of those people. living my life differently because I'm scard I won't be accepted or something.

I'm not saying hacker ethics are bad and that I don't love learning or something. I still sit in front of my comp 10 hours in a row tryin to figure what that latest exploit does. I still enjoy learing about TCP/IP and all the details. I still lvoe playin with linux and all that.

Here is what I'm trying to say. Be yourself, don't do something beause someone else says it's the right thing to do, do it because it feels like it's the right thing to do.

Which brings me back to this post. If you wanna be a hacker and you say you're looking for a reason to hack you're contradicting yourself. think about it.

well, thats all I gotta say.
i kind of agree with what ? said

Quote:
If you wanna be a hacker and you say you're looking for a reason to hack you're contradicting yourself. think about it.

why am i here? common interests for one. there is alot going on here not just hacking. as i type this im setting up my 3rd box this week. i pop in to read to try to help and mainly to learn. ther eis alot to learn out there so its always good to follow your interests it shouldnt be because you want to fit in it should be because it interests you and its what you want to do. just let things flow and it will click.

personally im into the security end of things. it takes a thief to catch a thief ya know? if i see whats out here i know how to protect my own puters. i only have a small home lan but still i have alot of time tied up here to come home one day and find things skewered.

i dunno building boxes and exploring OSes learning to program etc etc etc its just a natural interest. thats the way it should be IMHO>
werd
One day when I was 7 this dog was like hey key0d, j00 want 2 be an l337 hax0rz? I was like ahhh ahhh I want ice cream. Well kid this place has plenty. That is how it all started. Ok, not. I did it because I was always curious and on a quest for knowledge. Yup one part was school other is I love computers and seek to learn whatever. I had a good mentor, so I went further on by my self. Stick around here, you will get good and understand it all. Just becareful 0f th0se l337 dawgs man.
i just started out of curiousity. i just want to know :P
well it's my first time here, and i kind a like ur "?", for me i hack just for the fun of hit, never damage anything, most of the time i just hack to see if what i lurned is true, and to discover holes and bugs in the servers

never quit!!
i think i came here about 4years ago after getting the link to the site from my first "Learn how to hack program" i think the program was wrttin by someone called black beard ro red bread or some sh*t like that.

Any i came here an ask that question an most of the replys where never to ask but learn on your own. An that is what i did, now i have several computers that i can access remotley.

what u need to do is read read read, try to read as many text file as your hard drive will let you. an if u have too go an buy books on TCP/IP,and programming.

another thing is u don't wanna do is go around braggin about your fuc*ing hacking skills, that is just fuc*ing lame. Just keep quite an talk to fellow circumventers of computers.

an one more thing don't do anything stupid, like DOS attacks on yahoo or MSN, just to show off. i might wanna check my freaking email one day.

an that is about it.
Quote:
Originally posted by B.B.Gambini:
i think i came here about 4years ago after getting the link to the site from my first "Learn how to hack program" i think the program was wrttin by someone called black beard ro red bread or some sh*t like that.
it was blackbeard, the founder of UGN laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A newbie wondering: what are good reasons to hack - 05/30/02 02:40 AM
I'm a hacker for one reason. I was pushed around in 1-5 grade and I'm a powerwhore. I also like saying that I did something and accomplshed it by myself. I just like being incontrol. And when you're a hacker you aren't judged by religion or skin color. I just feel comftorable around hackers.
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Phun:
when you're a hacker you aren't judged by religion or skin color.
Nope, you're judged on what you do and how you act. So if you do and act like Digital Phun does and acts, then you'll fail too. But this is true about all online interaction - not just hackers.
yeh, we just make fun of you if your black/spanish/jewish/asian/white/australian/deaf/blind/disabled etc...
Amen...
dude this question applies to anything if you dont have a reason why you do somthing then dont bother with it, and if your just trying to show off you dont have to hack, just do somthing stupid like download and burn movies then sell them, youd be surprised how much attention that attracts(never did it myself cant stand the wait)
Xxlink64 if you think that way then you have absolutely no reason why you should learn how to hack
© UGN Security Forum