UGN Security
Posted By: EndGame formating my hdd - 08/04/05 09:22 AM
iv got a pretty old machine thats supposed to be running windowsxp home edition.
(20gb hdd, pentium3, 256mb)

the problem is i cant access my o/s and i cant even boot into dos.
iv tried reinstalling the o/s but im 'locked out' after the post and given a 'blue screen'. no error messages, no warnings, just a blue screen.

i then decided i am willing to loose any information on the hdd and i just want to wipe the entire thing clean (ie: format it) and il then reinstall xp.
but the bloody machine doesnt give me a chance to access dos, let alone even use the keyboard.

ANY way at all at getting me to a command prompt so i can format the machine, or is there any other way at formatting ur hdd?
Posted By: KillHour Re: formating my hdd - 08/04/05 10:05 AM
http://www.bootdisk.com/

bada bing, bada boom. laugh
Posted By: EndGame Re: formating my hdd - 08/04/05 10:16 AM
cheers.
i tried my bootdisk but that didnt work.
il try one of these.

will nag u in future if it doesnt work wink
Posted By: KillHour Re: formating my hdd - 08/04/05 10:24 AM
If that doesn't work, you probably fried your CPU. eek

If that's the case, then the only reason you can even acess the BIOS is because that runs off of a second numerical processor (a safeguard for overclocking).

Best way to check, swap out the HDD with one from another computer. If yours still doesn't boot, or worse - the other one does - you're screwed.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: formating my hdd - 08/05/05 12:53 AM
I'd say to give the PC to me, but you're an aussie so I can't pull my usual tricks... lol
Posted By: EndGame Re: formating my hdd - 08/06/05 02:24 PM
HA!
judging from the state of the machine giz, i rekon itd be more profitable if i DONATE the money id use for postal charges to UGN rather than sending the machine.

and shadow, i swapped hdds with a machine that does work and it still doesnt boot to an o/s.
(although, i can now go as far as the startup screen for windows before i get the 'blue screen' again)
*shrug*
il let u know via PM how it goes.
looks like a lost cause.
© UGN Security Forum