UGN Security
Posted By: KkamaKkazi IM-Based Vulnerability - 06/04/02 09:51 PM
A security vulnerability in the windows version of AOL Time Warner's Instant Messanger(AIM)chat application affected millions of AIM users untill the company secured AIM a week after the problem was first publicized. Unfortunatly for AOl and its customers a fix wasnt avalibile when news of the problem first appeared. A teenager discovered the vulnerability- which could have let intruders gain control of users computers- and gave the company little warning before publishing the details and a program thattook advantage of the problem untill potential intruders had already been tipped off. The 19 year old student who discovered the bug defended his actions by saying that he had emailed AOL but never got a response back.

The AOL vulnerability was similer to many of microsofts software problems because it involved a buffer-overrun glitch. (floods a software program with information , eventualy overwhelming it and fooling it into executing any valid commands). In AOL's case, intruders could use the AIM program to take control of user's computers and delete files.

Security analysts expect Instant Message(IM)-based vulnerabilities to surpass email-delivered threats within the next 5 years.
Posted By: Jitendra Re: IM-Based Vulnerability - 06/22/02 06:22 PM
hey, interesting stuff KkamaKkazi, do you have a source where I can read some more?
Posted By: bor Re: IM-Based Vulnerability - 06/23/02 07:42 PM
If this is the same old w00w00 vulerability, you should be able to find everything at http://www.w00w00.org
Posted By: KkamaKkazi Re: IM-Based Vulnerability - 06/26/02 09:52 PM
I found this out of a magazine I was reading...I think WIRED? Im not sure...I will find it though if you are curious enough for it.......
© UGN Security Forum