UGN Security
Posted By: Ice The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 03:07 AM
A chain letter being distributed via email today bizarrely predicts that the Internet will stop working on Monday.

The email claims that the so-called "Year 2003 Bug" was discovered on 23 February, and that essential Internet equipment will be triggered to stop working on the 030303 date.

According to the chain letter "No one can predict how much and how long the outage could be for. Even the experts have disagreed on the time length, some saying 24 hours, others suggesting it could be until network administrators patch the firmware."

Of course the claims are complete nonsense. There is no Internet time bomb, and we confidently predict Internet traffic will continue to flow as normal come Monday.

Despite the bizarre nature of the claims, a few gullible souls are forwarding the dire warning to their friends. AV firm Sophos which alerted us to the hoax spotted the chain letter today and reports a few calls and reports on the subject.

Sophos gets more calls about hoaxes than vreal viruses from concerned punters, the company tells us.

"Hoaxes and chain letters like this feed on computer users' fear and lack of knowledge of technical issues," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos Anti-Virus. "Unfortunately many people will innocently pass it onto their friends and colleagues believing that they are being helpful. However, like many things you may read on the Web, it is utter codswallop."

Full details of the 030303 chain letter can be found here (http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/030303.html)

What u guys think about this story ?? U think that the internet will stop working bu Sunday ?
Posted By: CyberNerd Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 04:07 AM
the internet will not go down monday i'd be willing to bet money on it
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 04:19 AM
Its made to arise panic hence why its not on any news sites.
Posted By: AlienTerror Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 07:02 PM
Exciting isn't it?

Monday: *Nothing Happens*
Posted By: dashocker Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 10:21 PM
ok, i feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something. What is a "punter?" I thought punters were the guys who kicked the ball to the other team on 4th down in football. Guess I am taking crazy pills...
Posted By: Paragon Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/01/03 10:36 PM
LOL, you're right. A "punter" is a booter, a program used to kick someone out of a chat room. Though I prefer the term booter. I believe the term "punter" is more recent than the term booter. Sounds British =p
Anyway, it's lame.
Posted By: Cold Sunn Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/03/03 03:05 AM
Punter means "bettor or, more generally, fellow" according to the glossary in Trainspotting, which is a book written in english/irish spoken english language.

A punter can also be a person or program that does that gay [censored].

Also, I hate anyone that ever sends chain letters of any kind. I usually hit "reply all" with a hatemail saying how stupid they are. Thankfully, none of those bastards email me anymore.
Posted By: Cold Sunn Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/03/03 11:44 PM
OMFG THE INTERNETTE R B NOT WORXING!!!!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/04/03 01:30 AM
::sits down:: I'm waiting!
Posted By: Ice Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/04/03 04:21 PM
heh, guess the pridictions were false = (
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/06/03 11:10 PM
Ok so how we going to split this pool of money betting for and against the hoax?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: The Great Year 2003 Bug - 03/06/03 11:19 PM
i get it all!
© UGN Security Forum