UGN Security
Posted By: hKzKnight Xanga is DOWN - 08/13/03 08:37 PM
"Due to continued and ongoing DDOS attacks, Xanga has now been down for over 24 hours.

This is the most concerted and determined of all the attacks we have experienced. Every time we bring the site back up, our attacker will find another avenue to renew their attack. I'm sure whoever is attacking us sees this all as a game, and is having a grand old time. I don't really get that mindset. Also, each and every one of these attacks is a felony charge.

These attacks have placed us in a classic Catch-22.

* We want to share as many details as possible with our fellow Xangans
* We don't want to give information that our attacker can use against us

We have chosen to break that conflict by upgrading both our hardware and our ISP. As many of you have pointed out, it is difficult to defend a Distributed Denial of Service attack. However, there are things that you can do to greatly increase your defenses - and rest assured, we are doing every one of them.

Many of you have asked for an ETA on bringing the site back up. Here's the deal - there's a chance we can get the site back up tonight, at our current ISP. If that doesn't work, then we will move the site first thing tomorrow morning and have it up by the afternoon.

We will find a way to make it up to all of you. In the meantime, our entire team is working around the clock to bring the site back up - better and stronger than ever.

Thanks for your patience,
The Xanga Team"

Thats pretty funny
Posted By: dashocker Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/13/03 08:48 PM
uhm, since when has UGN become the "this website is down" network?
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/13/03 08:53 PM
thought be nice latest news of attacks etc. I'm sorry for those who are offended by sharing the news, was just sharing eek
Posted By: unreal Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/13/03 11:29 PM
A lot of people I know use Xanga... Nice to know why it's down. *smacks dashocker*
Posted By: dashocker Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/14/03 02:29 AM
This is one of many posts about this sort of thing...you can tell a website is down by the fact it is not accessible...and if someone really wanted to find out why they could do it for themselves...that's what I am saying...if I wanted the "latest breaking news" I'd stick to another site if I was you...*smacks unreal*
Posted By: jonconley Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/14/03 09:45 PM
Dashocker: Normally I don't disagree with you but look at the name of this domain. Come on man, the more up to date and relevant posts and news are on this site, the better off this site is. And it also can generate hits for the site.
Posted By: dashocker Re: Xanga is DOWN - 08/14/03 11:39 PM
OK FINE I GUESS IT'S A GOOD POINT!!!!! BUT IT ANNOYS THE HELL OUTTA ME!!! laugh
© UGN Security Forum