UGN Security
Scientist, Bradley C. Edwards, believes that a space elevator could be reality within 15 years. The elevator would climb 62,000 miles and climb on a cable made of nanotubes.

"It's not new physics � nothing new has to be discovered, nothing new has to be invented from scratch," Edwards says. "If there are delays in budget or delays in whatever, it could stretch, but 15 years is a realistic estimate.."

NASA has already given over $500,000 to the Institute for Scientific Research in Fairmont to study the idea, another $2.5 million has been earmarked by Congress. "A lot of people at NASA are excited about the idea," said Robert Casanova from NASA.

Source
scifi like. Now is this a tube like the tubes that used to carry mail, and bla bla via vacum? Like usign the endless vacum of space. Or one people/bigger equipment would go into? Like We could use to construct more space stations or a even bigger one? I'm confused about where it will be built, other then the ocean for decayed burnout. Over land would be dangerous imo. Esp with terrorism lol. *shrug* reinventing the wheel. Cool cool.
I wonder how the hell they will get the top pieces in place. lol. In the ionosphere. You know up where it is freezing, there is little or no air we can breath. Plus what happens to the atmosphere? I mean a big [censored] tube sticking off the earth can't be good for it. It should be interesting. I agree the ocean would probably be best interms of safety, but how do you secure it?

/me thinks of future news stories.

"This just in, Bin laden has struck again. 4 terrorists armed with scuba gear and c-4 have taken out the space elevator."

Oh and once it is up, will there be a plan on how to get it down? I mean that will be a big [censored] tube to just fall over.
Haha.. that thing would be sooo expencive.. 62,000 miles of Carbon nanotubes.. It's cheaper to just used the shuttle.
© UGN Security Forum