UGN Security
Posted By: Rapture How much would you owe the RIAA? *article* - 04/06/03 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if this article has b een posted yet

Quote:

Lawsuits against four college students accused of trading copyrighted songs are the biggest punch yet by the recording industry against its core audience, and has experts worried that the next step will be suing the colleges themselves.

The damages sought by the suits are astronomical: $150,000 per song, the maximum allowed by law. Multiply that by the 652,000 or so songs the RIAA alleges student Joseph Nievelt offered to other Michigan Tech students on his service, and the scope of the suit is clear.
Full article

So how much would you owe?

$150,000 x how many songs you have?

I'de owe $432,900,000
You got me beat.

Moved to news.
$ 476.550.000 laugh
I owe over 600 million. [censored] the RIAA
good thing its just the RIAA and not the MPAA and software companies too.
The RIAA owes me 5 dolla
haha SR. I don't know about you guys, but I really do pay for cds if I think they are good. There are alot of songs I have on my computer or an mp3 cd that are only on cds that are shitty over all and not worth buying, or aren't good enough to own though. I don't know how much I "owe" the RIAA but I know some of the music I "stole" isn't a part of any major corporation, so yes, "[censored] the RIAA"
About $1,500,000,000
man that would suck, lol
I'de owe em' $233,850,000 - I dont got so much mp3 wink
I was thinking after reading about iTunes. I have no problem buying music but
1] I prefer reasonably priced CDs from good labels. A CD should be 14$ TOPS. Generally the better bands and prices are on smaller labels, and BOTH need the money
2] I won't buy any music from the companies that are endorsing the RIAA, their abuse of the media, fraudalent claims, and development of malicious technology
3] iTunes is a [censored] great idea. Some great artists and good prices. Too bad the RIAA still benefits from it.
http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-999332.html

Campus file swappers to pay RIAA

By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
May 1, 2003, 1:47 PM PT

Four university students on Thursday agreed to pay thousands of dollars each to settle online music piracy charges, ending the record industry's most aggressive thrust yet against individual file swappers.

The follow up on the four students
hrm... Well lets see... My Stepbrother has enough mp3's to play for 79hours 32minutes and 17 seconds lest I checked... divied that by an average 3:14 (194 seconds) track time...

[79(60*60)+32(60)+17]/194 =
[284400 + 1920 + 17] /194 = 286337 / 194 = 1476

So... He wouold owe the RIAA $221,400,000
Hmm I don't even want to spend the time doing the math but 2.5 gigs of mp3s (estimate) would make me a very very broke man.
© UGN Security Forum