UGN Security
Posted By: Phatal Windows XP Pro Service Pack Delayed - 08/18/04 10:50 PM
Microsoft Corp (Nasdaq: MSFT) Latest News about Microsoft. has delayed automated distribution of a major security Relevant Products/Services from IBM eServer xSeries Systems upgrade for a business-oriented version of its Windows Relevant Products/Services from InterLand Business Hosting Services operating system, citing a desire to give companies more time to test it.

The update, dubbed Service Pack 2, won't be available to users of Windows XP Latest News about Windows XP Professional via Microsoft's automatic update service until August 25, Windows product manager Jon Murchinson said yesterday. The rollout had been scheduled to begin earlier this week.

The delay doesn't affect distribution of the service pack for the Windows XP Home Edition. Microsoft plans to start rolling out the update today to users of the home version who have set their computers to receive automatic updates online.
Microsoft has recommended that companies test the upgrade before deploying it throughout their networks, primarily to ensure that it doesn't conflict with programs used in their businesses, Murchinson said.

Earlier, the company released a list of about 50 games and other software found to have potential problems working with the service pack, primarily because of updates in the built-in Windows firewall.
Corporate Customers Wary

Corporate customers told Microsoft that they "were very interested in having more time to test Service Pack 2 before deploying it widely in their organizations," Murchinson said.
Large companies that use Microsoft's patch management service, in which a company's computer staff distributes such updates for its employees, received the update Monday as scheduled.

The XP Professional delay affects distribution through an automatic update service, in which individual computers are set to obtain such updates directly from Microsoft.

You can view the original article here...
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/35911.html
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows XP Pro Service Pack Delayed - 08/19/04 04:44 AM
Heh, I have SP2 right now wink .. In fact it'll be on my mom's laptop tonight as well heh
Posted By: jonconley Re: Windows XP Pro Service Pack Delayed - 08/19/04 01:17 PM
You do know how many conflicts and issues arise with other programs using it. Not just net-related apps such as p2p apps, but even things such as MS Office itself. You should definitely check out the list before installing on any PC
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows XP Pro Service Pack Delayed - 08/19/04 01:47 PM
My office works with it just fine; in fact i instaled it on my pc that i'm always on... I've yet to really have any issues; other than being required to have the windows firewall on and auto updates wink
© UGN Security Forum