UGN Security
Posted By: Ice New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/27/04 06:45 AM
Antivirus firms warned on Monday of a new mass-mailing computer virus that had gained a foothold in a large number of PCs by masquerading itself as an e-mail error.

The virus, dubbed MyDoom, arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines, such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test," or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment."

Antivirus firms were scrambling Monday afternoon to learn more about the virus, which started spreading at about 1 p.m. PST.

"A lot of the information is encrypted so we have to decrypt it," said Sharon Ruckman, senior director for antivirus software maker Symantec's security response center. Symantec has had about 40 reports of the virus in the first hour, a high rate of submission, Ruckman said.

Antivirus firms are still analyzing the virus. Variations in the body text include, "The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment."

The virus also seems to install another program on the victim's computer, but until the antivirus firms decrypt the program's code, the purpose of the file is unknown.

Mail systems that remove executable files from e-mails can stop the program from spreading.

More details to follow.

CNet News
Posted By: Gremelin Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/28/04 03:57 PM
Man, I got it 5 times in my work email, 20 times from other emails, and numerous times through my mail filter! All in all I'd estimate the total of this JUST TODAY as at LEAST 300 mailings...
Posted By: Gremelin Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/29/04 04:10 AM
All that I've been recieving:

Scan type: Scheduled Scan
Event: Virus Found!
Virus name: W32.Novarg.A@mm
File: C:\Program Files\DigiPortal Software\choicemail\mailboxes\gizmo\[email protected] [email protected]>>message.zip
Computer: LAPTOP
User: Gizmo
Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine succeeded :
Date found: Wed Jan 28 03:58:53 2004
Posted By: Ghost Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/29/04 07:27 AM
yeah this thing is wreaking havoc at my school. every two hours there is an announcement about it. "Plese shut off your computers" "You may now turn them back on but no email use." "You may use email again, we will keep you posted." Gets annoying. Hope it gets over with soon.
Posted By: §intå× Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/29/04 07:36 AM
I got it 2 times yesterday and I never get anything in my email at work.
Posted By: Ice Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/29/04 09:11 AM
just 12 in Hotmail = (
Posted By: Gremelin Re: New virus hitting in-boxes - 01/29/04 09:24 AM
Oh god, i went through my log on norton, 4000 quarenteened items...
© UGN Security Forum