UGN Security
Posted By: SodaCan Windows + telnet ??? - 10/28/03 11:52 AM
I know there is a way to get acess to windows through telnet. I been trying to gain access to my old comp via telnet through my new one. Fig. it was a start to learning about telnet. So far i know you enter " telnet host port#" then enter. I tried it with a website an it turned black an when i hit enter twice i got some html an some info on the server. So if any1 knows if u can connect to another windows computer via tel net please help
I thank every1 that put their time into reading this.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/28/03 12:05 PM
to use telnet to connect to anything it'd connect to a service. If you plan on using telnet to connect to the default telnet port your computer will need to be running a telnet service.

To use a client (in this case telnet) to connect to a service on another computer (also in this case a telnet daemon or service) you need to have a server running on "your" computer.
Posted By: SodaCan Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/28/03 12:11 PM
So I would need a server on my old computer or could i just open telnet an connect to default port
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/28/03 12:32 PM
You need a telnet server running on the computer to connect via telnet to the server... Just like saying you need to start the car before you can drive it...
Posted By: jonconley Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/28/03 12:45 PM
If you have not sure about NT4/XP, but with my windows 2000 there is a telnet service that you can enable and then you can use your windows accounts to access the machine and get a remote command terminal. It is installed by default I believe, best bet would be to search MS knowledgebase or if you do a search in the XP help on your computer, it will search the KB also.

To get you started, here is a HOWTO on enabling telnet server in windows 2000.

HOWTO @ MS KB
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/29/03 12:47 AM
on XP/2k it's installed by default but it isn't ran automatically.
Posted By: pergesu Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/29/03 02:12 AM
And I'll point out that you may want to install an SSH service instead. It gives you a shell just like telnet, but everything's encrypted, so it's far more secure than telnet.
Posted By: SodaCan Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 10/29/03 02:43 AM
thanks guys you saved me on that one
Posted By: david_isis Re: Windows + telnet ??? - 12/10/03 02:32 AM
to find out more info on telnet you can go to
www.happyhacker.org
© UGN Security Forum