UGN Security
Posted By: Nexus IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/04/02 10:43 PM
Extract from http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24274.html

Quote:
An attacker can run arbitrary commands on Windows machines with a simple bit of HTML, an Israeli security researcher has demonstrated. The exploit will work with IE, Outlook and OutlooK Express even if active scripting and ActiveX are disabled in the browser security settings.

Further details at http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/
Posted By: Kryptic Codez Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/05/02 12:36 PM
Actually I tried the code out in the article and it didn't work.

-Kryptic Codez
Posted By: Le4rner Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/05/02 11:19 PM
Same here. I get a screen with a pic that looks to have not loaded....
Posted By: spectre Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/06/02 12:58 AM
the code worked for me. i had to edit it to fix it so it worked with WINME (CALC was in C:\Windows\, not Windows\System)

<span datasrc="#oExec" datafld="exploit" dataformatas="html"></span>
<xml id="oExec">
<security>
<exploit>
<![CDATA[
<object id="oFile" classid="clsid:11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111" codebase="c:/windows/CALC.exe"></object>
]]>
</exploit>
</security>
</xml>

I then tried to create a shortcut to Windows' Command.com, but it didn't work because when u create a shortcut to command.com, it is not considered an actual shortcut, but:

Type of File: Performs text-based (command-line) functions.

I then tried to get the code to pass functions to MS-DOS. unfortunately, for the same reason as above, you CANNOT open command.com because it is the same type of file as above.

Not knowing XML I cannot tell you how to do this, but the only work around I can think of is to know exactly what u are going to do (of course u will) and open Notepad and pass a command.com argument to it, then whatever argument to that, and same the file as perform.bat and save it then run it. all from the same XML file. if anyone knows how to do this, it would be great if I could see the code! thanks!
Posted By: Mornse Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/06/02 01:25 AM
OK, let's say you take that code and use it to open up a command prompt like in the other post. Do you think it would be also possible to send a command along with the opening the command prompt? Because if you could then you could maybe turn on file sharing and things such as that which would make it quite simple to have a backdoor. I've been looking at it, but I don't really know javascript and can't figure out how/if to do it. Anyone?
Posted By: Le4rner Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/06/02 01:49 AM
Well that is XML not Javascript
Posted By: Mornse Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/07/02 01:17 AM
Yeah, i know that's XML, but in the example in the other post they used javascript to do the same thing.
Posted By: spectre Re: IE, Outlook and OE vulnerability - 03/07/02 01:49 AM
the fact of the matter is, it will not allow you to open a command prompt. the only way you could open a command prompt with this XML is to create a program that opens a command prompt, compile it, and have this link to the .EXE. of course, the person u use this on will not have that EXE on there computer, so it doesn't matter anyway. as i said above, you cannot open command.com, command.exe, ms-dos, etc.
© UGN Security Forum