UGN Security
Posted By: Ghost Mounting multiple partitions from a USB device - 12/27/05 08:12 AM
I use a Sony USB drive to carry files around for my convinience. The question here is, do any of you know how to mount multiple partitions from a USB device? I can partition it fine with Parted from a a Damn Small Linux Live CD, and it works great there, but I seldom have physical access to linux enviroments. Windows doesn't seem to have any sort of functionality to mount partitions other than the one marked bootable. Anyone know of any way to mount these partitions?
why not partition them with windows partitions? Either fat32 or ntfs
I've never seen a USB drive that wzasn't fat...
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinite:
I've never seen a USB drive that wzasn't fat...
agreed... Even those 1gb ones are fat... If they someday make a 4+ gb one it'd likely be Fat32...
All the partitions are formatted FAT. The Disk Management utility can see them, but refuses to provide any functionality to mount them.
I'm going to be a smartass here now and say

mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/usbdrive

But I know that won't help ya wink

But... In the 'disk management' can you right click it and choose 'change drive letter and paths' ? I dunno if this is the right track or not...
That's the right track if Windows wasn't [censored] retarded. It flat out refuses to allow that to succeed.
ok back up...
This flash drive is is formatted with what?

Are you opperating in windows or linux/*nix.

This is *nix
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/usbdrive

Did you partition the flash drive? If so.... WHY?

Windows will not recgonize Linux partitions with out 3rd party software. If that is what you are trying.... You can give up now. Linux can read and write to FAT32, it can read NTFS but not write to well.
All the partitions are formmated FAT16. The USB stick was formmated and partitioned by GNU Parted running on a Damn Small Linux live cd. I'm trying to mount these partitions from a USB drive on a Windows XP box. I know it's quite easy to mount these partitions from a *nix enviroment, but that's not what i'm trying to do.
You forgot the most important question; "WHY"...
I can think of lots of reasons why. And none of them will help ghost make this work.
© UGN Security Forum