UGN Security
Here is a thread to post links to any sort of free spyware/malware/virus removal utilities. Feel free to contribute anything, eventually i'll download them all and create a zip file to upload to the archive.
Antivir

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware

HijackThis

CWShredder
give spybot my approval for #1 wink
i personally use Ad-Ware :] Kick [censored] removal.
Never tried SpyBot, will give it a try.
I like this one

xoftspy
Are all these actually free ? or the 1 month Trial, or the let me scan your computer, but to delete the infected items, you gonna have to purchase the full version [censored] ?
spybot and adaware are free I know.

xoftspy is like $40...but um PM me.
Ive been using ad-aware for a while, i think that hits them all but cant be sure *shrugs*
I use AdAware Pro (the non-free version), SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, and a few others...
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallowed Be Thy Name:
Ive been using ad-aware for a while, i think that hits them all but cant be sure *shrugs*
Nope

CoolWebSearch it will not remove. CWS shreder will not remove some versions either. I know. I have been fighting this [censored] for over a year. I have sooooo much crap on my PC I do not want to burn to CD. It would take days. So I have resigned myself to using Firefox and toying with it when I get time.

I found Adaware and Spybot can work against each other. The way they fix some problems is counter productive. For example. Spy bot sometimes creates a blank file to kill a progy. I should clarify. It will create a blank file to replace the core of a spy program. Then adaware will come along and delete it. The adware then knows to download that file again.

Both methods would have worked but since both were run niether works. I am sure this is the same for many programs out there.
I'd offer to fix your PC for you (move good "clean" files to one of my servers them purge the data on the pc then format and move back) but it'd take more than a few days wink
I like root kit revealer for those really pesky windows viruses that just don't seem to go away.
It's not automated and inorder to use its information you need to restart in safe mode and force grant your permission to access areas of your machine I bet you didnt even know where there.
A favorite place for virii to hide is C:\System Volume Information\
I use registry mechanic which is pretty good at maintaining a vaild registry.
I dont remember paying for it so it must be free.
I also use spybot and ad-aware.
Well since the downloads for spybots upgrading have been slow I have been using another progran.
Check it out, its called Spyware-Doctor .

Check out the user reviews for more info or just private message me if you have a question.
smile

(I hope this thread is exempt from dying)
1. no single spyware removal tool wll get everything. Your absolute best best is adaware/spybot in tandem, as well as hijackthis for the superstubborn ones.

Don't argue, this is the absolute truth. Anything you have to add is opinion and is wrong.

2. Use Linux. It is immune to this crap.
© UGN Security Forum